Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ring and pinion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ae864cd, Feb 28, 2002.

1. ae864cd

ae864cd Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I have a 1989 k5 blazer with a 6.2 diesel. Since i am a newbie, I recently installed a stock 10 bolt front with 3.73 ratio( the old one had a bad pinion bearing and i did not want to take all the time to rebuild it). I I owned the truck for about 6 months. The previous owner said that rear was rebuilt. When i put it in 4wd, it feels like i have the brakes on. I am thinking that the previous owner rebuild the rear and installed 4.11 gears in the back. Since then i took apart the old front axle and determined that it is a 3.73 gear and the ring and pinion was okay. My question is will the ring and pinion in the front fit the stock rear? Anyone out there know.?

1989 k5
    6.2 diesel
    33x12.5x15 with 6" procomp.

Thanks in advance

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, both 8.5"

Realize that you will have to set up the gears correctly, and its not a 5 minute job.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yeah! Its about a 4 hours job for the home schooler!

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]