Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ring and pinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by iwaxmyjimmy, Nov 26, 2006.

1. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

well i blew my ring and pinion out on my 10bolt rear the other night and i ordered a 4.88 ring and pinion from 4wheelparts yesterday. am i gonna need to get an installation kit since if not changing carriers?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

change the carrier too, its one of the most common causes of 10 bolt ring gear failure.

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Damn.....upgrade, 14bff you won't be sorry.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes, at minimum you will need a minor install kit to get the shims and such to get the pattern right.

that said, i would upgrade axles. i would put something bigger in it because you most likely are gonna have problems with the 10 bolt again.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

better gears, bigger brakes, stronger axle... the downside, 6 lug wheels wont work anymore. there isnt a better bang for your buck for these trucks than a 3/4 ton swap.

6. iwaxmyjimmy

i dont have the money or the time to do the 14bolt swap i just gotta get back up and running. i guess ill order the install kit sometime this week if my wallet allows. w/ a 4.88 gear i should be ok w/ light wheeling b/c that will take some strain off the axles and drivetrain b/c ill have more reduction to turn the 33s. correct??

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

$150 is a pretty common price for a 14FF, add in pair of 8 lug wheels, and maybe some brake parts if they need a little attention, and you're still in under your price for a r&p, install kit, and a different carrier. the problem still exists downstream of the gears, the carrier and axle shafts are where the problems really lie with the 10 bolt. 4.88s are going to make them worse due to more torque multiplication. say you're putting 300 ft/lb to a set of 3.08s... 300 x 3.08 = 924 ft/lb to the carrier and shafts... now factor in a set of 4.88s... 300 x 4.88 = 1464 ft/lb now put your transfer case in low, and the trans in something lower than direct drive, and the problem just gets worse. if you're breaking 10 bolts with 33s and stock gears, you need a strength upgrade. the 4.88s will definitely make the rest of your drivetrain (engine, tranny, and tcase) alot happier though.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When you start getting into that deep of a gear in the 10 bolt axle the pinion gear becomes so small that they start to grenade pretty easy.

9. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

simply put: the General used 10 bolts as a way to sell more ring and pinions to poor bastiges who didnt want to swap to a 14bff... it is in your best interest, physically for your truck and monetarily for your wallet, to forgo new gears and install a matched 3/4 ton axle set that can be had for 300 bucks and maybe another 150 in lube and brake parts....

10. iwaxmyjimmy

i just ordered the r&p install kit from summit and im not plannin on wheeling for a while mainly b/c im only gonna have 2wd. and everything should be here tuesday and maybe ill have the gears in weds. this is my daily driver and i gotta work ya know and it might be a lil bit before i can spend the 500 plus to get a 14bolt FF rear and 3/4 ton front 8 lug wheels and some new tires b/c i dont think i can fit a 15 inch wheel over the calipers on the front.

11. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you can pay me now or pay me later, or both.!!!!
    Good luck, git r done

12. iwaxmyjimmy

this is a temp. fix ima swap 4.88s in the front too along w/ a mini spool up front and lockright rear in hopes of having a local club member buying them to go w/ full width, locked, and geared for his jeep or sammi or something. then ill buy my 14bolt rear and hi pinion 60 front w/ a Z71 manual T-case after i get the cash. ive just gotta keep my truck rollin till i get the cash for the swap

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

for a temporary fix, i'd just throw a junkyard rear in it, but if you're set on dumping money into axles that are just to be replaced, i guess there's no talking you out of it. as for the mini-spool/lockright idea, swap ends... spool in the rear, lockright in the front, dont and you wont be able to steer it.

14. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

is a 12bolt as weak as the 10??

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yup, what it makes up for in ring gear size, it loses in pinion bearing size.

16. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

excrement...

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

18. iwaxmyjimmy

ok well i need to get some gear lube and i came across this on a website. i know i need the GM friction modifier but if i run synthetic then i wont need it correct?? im having trouble findin the friction modifier here in town. i havent check the dealerships yet. anyone know??

19. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

any auto parts store ought to have friction compound for GM posi units

20. iwaxmyjimmy

welp i was just browsing on the net so i guess they didnt list them but hey im puttin them in sat. morning