Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ring gear carnage....PIC's!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jul 8, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Ring gear carnage....PIC\'s!

OK, I just got a great deal on a D44 front axle with chrom moly shafts, ctm u joints, ARB locker, crossover steering, rock stomper tie rod, and diff protector. $400 for the whole shabang. I got it home and popped the diff, oh no!!!!! The ring gear is chipped pretty bad. I cleaned it out and turned the yoke with no problems, it cycled smoothly. I need to get a new ring gear, right? I am afraid to hear the answer. I am not pissed, I mean all the other stuff is a great deal. If I bought a new ring and pinion what would be an average price to install with my ARB in there? Could a rookie mechanic take the carrier out and take it in to get fixed? Any ways heres the pic....
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Ring gear carnage....PIC\'s!

You have to replace the ring and pinion together so you can't just take the carrier into a shop. You need to take the whole thing. I've seen regears cost from $400 including gears to $800 not including gears /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Thats why I do my own.

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I would be concerned about metal in the ARB damaging the O-Rings.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

That's the problem with beefing D44s and 10 bolts - the ring gear becomes the weak link. I did that to 2 ring gears in my D44, they looked almost exactly like that. Whoever you bought it from probably had tires on it that were just plain too big for the 44. You definately need a new gearset. I'd be a little concerned about the fact that they cut half the width of the bearing cap off to clear the ARB line, that looks really excessive.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Too late now, but that is why you should ALWAYS pop the cover and peek inside before handing over any cash for an axle. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif That said, with that much metal floating around in there, I would get a new ring and pinion, a master install kit (new seals, bearings, shims, etc.), and an ARB rebuild kit. The hard facing is probably damaged on the bearings and ARB's absolutely HATE contaminated lube. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Fix it right and you'll only have to fix it once. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd be a little concerned about the fact that they cut half the width of the bearing cap off to clear the ARB line, that looks really excessive.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nice catch Shaggy! I was so busy checking out those mangled ring gear teeth that I didn't even notice that! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You may have to put another $400 in to it, if you do the work yourself, but I think you still got a pretty good deal for all that stuff.

8. stallion85

Do they make rebuild kits for ARB's? I can't find them on the web???? Well my Father in law says he can change the ring and pinion. So all I will have to do is buy the kit. I am still ahead either way.

9. stallion85

From 4 wheel parts I can get a master install kit and new ring and pinion (precision gear) for around $225. Would you guys pay the extra dough and buy a beefier brand?? If there is a such thing?

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

$400 is still a good deal on that axle, ask some of your buddys if they know anyone some guys can do that for a freinds freind for for a little cash... just make sure they know what there doing

11. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's the problem with beefing D44s and 10 bolts - the ring gear becomes the weak link. I did that to 2 ring gears in my D44, they looked almost exactly like that. Whoever you bought it from probably had tires on it that were just plain too big for the 44. You definately need a new gearset. I'd be a little concerned about the fact that they cut half the width of the bearing cap off to clear the ARB line, that looks really excessive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are 35" tires too big? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I was going to build up my D44 simular to his, thats why I ask. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    From 4 wheel parts I can get a master install kit and new ring and pinion (precision gear) for around $225. Would you guys pay the extra dough and buy a beefier brand?? If there is a such thing?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Get on ebay... check out some of the stuff on there before you buy rebuild kits and stuff. I save $50 bucks on my d60 rebuild kit (w/ Timken bearings). I also got a d60 Richmond gear 5.13 gear set for $125 (installed but never used). I imagine 1/2 ton stuff could be had for dirt cheap. Beware though, there are a few bad deals on there too.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are 35" tires too big? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I was going to build up my D44 simular to his, thats why I ask. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I killed mine with 38s, 35s should be fine...

14. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I killed mine with 38s, 35s should be fine...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif