Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ring gear change

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87 mid canada k5, Jul 25, 2000.

1. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

anybody change the ring gear for their starter lately? do i need to pull the tranny out or can i get away with maybe just sliding it back? I've got a bad spot that shows up once every 5 or 10 starts.
    ( FORD backwards- driver returning on foot) '87K5

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

auto or standard?

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Are you sure it's not a flat spot on the armature of the starter? That would give you a dead click (or no click) when you try to start it. Need to replace/rebuild the starter if that is the case.

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. 87 mid canada k5

truck is an auto, and i'm pretty sure the starter is good it's fairly new. i think my last starter was too tight and should have been shimmed out a bit ,it eventually burnt out and seeing as the starter gear is harder than the ring gear i think it got a bit chewed. 87midcan.k5

5. 87 mid canada k5

p.s. the noise i'm getting is similar to the sound you'd here if you tried to start it when it was already running (not that i've ever done that ! ;)

6. MyK-5

MyK-5 Registered Member

You need to put shims on it. My starter did the same thing. I put a few shims on there and it purrs like a kitten

81 Beater

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

if you get 4 3/8 bolts approx 8" long and put them in the bellhousing bolt holes, put a jack under transfer case/trans, remove crossmember, drive sharfts, undo torque conv. you can slide trans/transfer assembly back enough to replace the flexplate/ring gear without fully removing the trans. although it will look like the trans will just about come out. depending on what version of front exaust pipe/ crosssover you have, you might have to play with exaust. you might also have to put another jack under the engine to support that while trans is loose. either way, not a fun job.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

8. 87 mid canada k5

thanks guys, i did try shimmimg, didn't work. so i'll give the long bolt method a go, running dual exhaust with no cross-over pipe, so maybe i'll get lucky and it won't be too bad. Bloody knuckles here i come!