Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ring Gear Help.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big Blzn, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just finished changing fluid in both my 12 bolt rear and D44 Front. Upon checking the ratio I believe I unfortunatly have a 3.08 because it had these numbers lazer inscribed or done very well by hand. 40x13 1581/02. Can I assume this is infact a 3.08 gear. The D44 had this on its gear which looked like it was from the factory. 1 12 72 DANA 30060 B3D95 43-14. Just by looking I don't see where it would be the same as the front gear, a 3.08. Could any one verify what these numbers mean.

Without searching the forum would any of you tell me what the best ratio would be for my truck and driving. Here are my specs and driving habits.
    -400sbc, th350, 35" tires.
    -Weekend driver mostly on the road with small amount of desert/fire trails/light wheeling. No deep mud or rock crawling. Would like to keep as much Hwy speed as possible without burning up my tranny or twisting my axles in the event I get stuck good.

I'm thinking something like 4.10 gears in the near future. Any help would be appreciated.
    Hoby

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yes they are 3.08's
    you take the big number(ring gear teeth) and divide it by the smaller number(pinion teeth), this gives you the gear ratio

as for what gears, 4wheel parts had a gear calculator it will tell you what gears will work best with your tire size and expected performance.

3. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

3.08s; Crap!!!!!:doah: :doah: :doah: :doah:

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Yup, the "43-14" is the ring and pinion gear numbers.
    SO, 43 divided by 14 is 3.0714xxx

The other, "40x13" is the same thing which is 3.0769xxxx

So, some rounding gets to 3.08:1 ratio. And it's normal for the front gears to be slightly different than rear, but it's plenty close. For example 4.11:1 rear with 4.09:1 front.

5. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

lol whats wrong with 3.08s, im runnin 10blts with 3.08s and 38.5s. heres a video- www.putfile.com/84camaroinprogress and yea they are crap im surprised i can turn the tires. i can do a hella one wheel drive burnout :haha: :haha: :haha: i bet u can do better with that 400sbc and smaller tires, i can do a vid of that too if you want lmao, its kinda funny

6. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

another tire burner:rolleyes:

7. user

user Registered Member

Actually, I liked SurPip's religious ideas better than the course of this thread, 'cause I'm putting 3.08's in my '90 Burban 4wd since the 3.73's were "all torque and no action" - I'm pretty strictly a no-towing, paved-street guy, and where I live, spinning one of the wheels is probable cause for a reckless driving (that's a year in jail, here) charge. But as to the other, I like what Jesus said about religion, "Beware the leaven of the Pharisees." Or as the Buddhists say, "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." Means the same thing.

8. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

another tire burner huh, what do u know, i have a 84 camaro that i use to drag, and i have owned 3 trucks that have been anywhere in the 12 inch lift range when i was stupid and thought bigger was better and with that 12 inches and 44s i have had water over the hood, whats so wrong with likin to burn off ur tires every now and then, if u dont like it keep to urself, i wasnt talkin to u anyway, maybe u belong on pirate with all the other ya hoooooos,

what i was trying to accomplish was that with 3.08s you can get alot of wheel speed verry fast and with an open diff its doubled so that tire is travelin hella fast and will smoke till u cant see or breath