Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ring gear lost some teeth!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wetbackZO, Aug 13, 2006.

1. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

Here it goes. My sister's car died so she borrowed my 79 K10. Then she calls me one day and tells me the truck is knocking, thought it was the motor. Motor is fine, only knocked when rolling. I first thought it was the U-joints, but I wasn't that lucky. Took the pumpkin cover off a while ago and teeth came out w/some black/metallic lube!!:( The axle is ruined right?? What does it take to cause this damage?? I came to find out that other people drove my truck but no one admits to abusing my K10. Damage like this only happens under abuse, right??
    Ok, boys and girls, I'm poor and don't have a lot of time; please give me some ideas on what to do about fixing this truck. It is a 79 w/12 bolt rear, I'd like to know if I can throw in an axle from a 90's truck in there. How about one from a 2wd truck, can I just swap axles(5lug to 6lug)?? Maybe it's time to get some real axles(3/4 or 1 ton). I'll hit the boneyards in the mean time. TIA. Zo out.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't get upset thinking someone broke it with abuse, it's possible, but it's also possible it was just timing. It's old. :) Friend broke teeth in his 12 bolt starting out on a hill, no abuse.

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

ya old axle, not the strongest to start with. try to think of this as more of an opportunity!

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you decide to swap in another diff just make sure you get the same axle ratio, yours is 3.08's not the best gears but you need to have matching gears if you use 4wd.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

3/4 tons... if you're here, im going to guess its not got the 235 75 15s it wore from the factory. you need more gear than the 3.08 (at best) that it had factory. 3/4 tons are the cheapest way to get reasonable gears.

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yah 3/4 tons would probably cost about the same as taking it to a shop to change the ring and pinion

7. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

hey thanx guys, i'll be hunting for some 3/4 ton stuff then. It's awesome that you guys can tell what the gear ratio is just from the pix, some info I was not aware of, thanx. I'm also considering throwing in a new ring and pinion set up w/ a new installation kit. Never done it before and i believe it's time I learn this stuff. This is an LSD so I can't do a Quik-Lok right?? What I do on this truck depends on what I find at the junkyard, and the price tag on the replacement parts; but I think I really want to upgrade to some real axles. I believe it's worth it since the motor is already pretty fresh, we'll see what happens, I'll keep you posted on the verdict. Thanx for all the help dudes!!!

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

no tricks just observant the numbers on the gears tell you how many teeth are in the pinion and the ring gear divide it out and you get 3.08 (rounded number)

badaxle3.jpg

9. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

cool...