Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ring Gear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Smitty, Oct 5, 2000.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Is there a place online that I can cross a GM part number off a ring gear to tell what ratio I'm running?

2. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

whats the number i might be able to tell u.

<font color=red> Hey who put that grenade in there? </font color=red>

3. 67firebird400

67firebird400 Registered Member

Smitty why dont you just count the teeth on the Ring and the teeth on the Pinion, compare that to what a shop manual says (ie. my 'Bird is a 3.08 ratio = 40ring gear teeth&13 Pinion gear teeth) 40 divided by 13 is 3.08 Try this before youre pullin your hair out lookin for that little number on the big gear.

I think I dropped that grenade in there when we did the locker Stu. WHOOPS!!! >:)

4. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

if he didn't already have the number then why would he be looking for a web page to put it in to see he ratio?

<font color=red> Hey who put that grenade in there? </font color=red>

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

The part number on the ring gear is 464919 45-11(last part may not apply). Tried to check it out in the parts book but it looks like the ring & pinion are sold in sets that don't match the number. I've found a KJJ code on the axle tube. The only reference to this code is for a 1979 CK 20 series. Can I assume that this axle came from a 79 or is this code used in other years? If this is right and it has the stock gears I should have a 4.10 w/posi.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yo ucan also check the RPO codes on the glovebox sticker.
    These are the ones I remember
    GT4=3.08
    GU6=3.42
    G80=Gov lock (posi)

90K5

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

The last part of your number (45-11) is your tooth count. 11 teeth on the pinion gear, 45 on the ring gear. 45 divided by 11 equals 4.09 which is commonly called 4.10s.

Cruisin in my '73.

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Thought that was the easy way out but someone helped me out by putting a 14 bolt FF in the back. I'm not complaining but I'm just getting started with this one and am showing signs of mismatched gear ratios between the front and rear. Shouldn't be a problem since I haven't able to get off road and really use it yet. I just need to find out before I can use the 4WD.

9. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, now I can put it back together and check the Dana in the front.