Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ring & Pinion Help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nofeartruckin00, Oct 27, 2001.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I pulled the cover off my rear axle today to find what gears i was running. When i looked at the magnet, there are a lot of shavings and 3 teeth stuck to it. I looked at the ring, and about 5 teeth are missing, along with teeth missing off some other gears in there. I have a code off the ring, and was wondering if anyone could tell me what ratio my rear end has. 2GM 26018278 12 41 3 91. Also i drew a pic and wanted to know if this could be a lim. slip or locker, or what else i will need to order so i can get this fixed. The pic is here: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/chevyrides/rearend>http://www.geocities.com/chevyrides/rearend</a> Need to get the truck back on the road, Thanks.

Mud, the ultimate paint job

2. nofeartruckin00

Oh, and does anyone know where i can order a new set from (and what ever posi or locker is back there)?

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

3:42 ratio. I can't realy tell by the pic what ya have back there.
    But Randy's ring and pinion has good stuff for replacement gears and stuff.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah 41 divided by 12 = 3:42

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

3:42 was a fairly common gear. You might be able to get a used axle cheaper then fixing yours.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

6. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

You have 3.42 ratio as the others have said.I looked at the pic and by seeing that block in the middle,I think you have a gov-lock.Is there all kinds of smaller parts in there other than the 2 spider and 2 side gears?

chevrules...always has and always will

7. nofeartruckin00

I cant really tell what else is in there, ill try to take a picture of it this afternoon. Thanks for the help.

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Looks like a Gov-lock, and 3.42:1 gear ratio.
    If the teeth that are broke off, are spaced one or more theeth away from each other you make be ok for light duty
    street driving, and very light duty off-road driving.
    Can you explain is some detail the broken teeth ?

9. nofeartruckin00

The busted teeth are all in one general section. On the big ring gear, there are about 6 right next to eachother. The teeth are chewed off at a 45. And the other 3 gears (that i can see....) all have like 3 or 4 teeth busted in the same area where they would contact eachother. I don't drive it now, before i pulled the cover the truck would shake during acceleration. Before i go buying the gears, does anyone know if the 3:42's are low enough to take on 35x12.5" mudders?

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with mine. I broke 7 teeth off and shot one through the diff cover. I bought the new R&amp;P from Summit for around $165 and $80 for the master install kit. I had a local shop install them for $125. Kinda sucks cause I only ran the thing for 6 months before installing a 14 FF. You might want to think about doing the same thing. For the money you will waiste on repairing the 10 bolt, you could buy a front and rear axle (with 4.10's). If you decide to put lower then 3.42 in the rear you will have to regear the front. If I were you and if I had to do it again I would upgrade the axles.

89 K5 Silverado, 4", 33's, 3/4 ton axles
    <a target="_blank" href=http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com>http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com</a>

11. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You'll need something like 4.56 gears to make those 35"s talk. Otherwise its going to be a really big slug.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

12. 674x4

674x4 Registered Member

I have the gear and the gov-lock unit out of a 96 Z-71 if you are interested. Let me know.

13. Alex

Alex Registered Member

nofeartruckin00, I'm no axle expert but the ring gears are the same size for 2.73, 3.08, 3.42, 3.73, &amp; 4.10 (41 teeth ring gear) both for semi floating and full-floating. The only thing that differs between them is the pinion gear (teeth count), from 15 to 10 respectively… This should save you a couple of bucks if all you have to do is replace the pinion.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Alex on 10/29/01 04:28 PM.</FONT></P>

14. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

While that might sound like a good idea for a quick fix that is just begging for more trouble.
    The ring and pinoin should be replaced as a set. Anyway with that much trauma to the diff It would be best to replace it all.
    being that it is a 10 bolt I wouldn't even bother with spending any money on it.
    If it was me I would go to a salvage yard and swap the whole thing out. Then start looking for a set of 3/4 ton axles.
    I picked mine up for $250 with 4:10 gears.

15. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Ron, you're absolutely correct. I would replace the pair, not to mention the bearings, seals, etc....

16. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    You stated that you want to run 35's.I would definately go with at least a 12 bolt rear and 4.10's.

17. nofeartruckin00

Ok, i've been checkin around for some 12 bolts with 4:10's, and might have found one. Is a rear axle off a burb the same axle as the K5? But for the front i know i have to match the back, so should i buy 4:10's or go looking for a 3/4 axle too? Will i need to get any different drive shafts to run these? Thanks for the help.

18. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If you wanna run 35's, you're going to want lower gears.

There is no better time for gear or axle swaps than right now.

Don't spend money on that 10-Bolt. To get it going again, you will need at least: ring and pinion ($170), Install Kit ($80 and up), spider gear set ($100) and install ($200+). And that's assuming that it's an open diff. If it's a Gov-lock than you can add on at least $200 for a new Gov-lock or a new carrier. If you are changing the gear ratio, add hundreds more to regear the front.

If I was you, I would look for a matched set of 3/4-ton axles. You could buy a junker 3/4-ton 4x4 and steal the driveshafts and axles, sell your old front 10-bolt for something and send the rest away to a junkyard. You could even sell the motor and tranny to somebody if they are any good. You could even use it's wheels to drive around on until you got something better.

Or just find a matched set of axles somewhere. Make sure the gear ratio is what you want (4.10 or 4.56) and that they don't need rebuilding or else your cost savings is gone. It's your choice whether to stay half-ton (12-bolt and Dana 44 or 10-bolt) or go bigger and get new wheels.

Remember, breakage is just an opportunity for upgrades. After all, if it broke before, was it really good enough? [​IMG]

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

19. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If that is a Gov-lock, you will know it by turning the differential around 180 degrees and looking at the other side. If there are some little tiny gears in that side and a weird little spring-loaded bugger, then it is a Gov-lock. Also, if you look way over at the far sides of the inside of the carrier, you should see some little clutch plates, but they are almost hidden as you look in from the back.

Another thing. Junk yards will try to rip you off on axles. Explain to them plainly that you only have X dollars and if they can't do it, you just can't buy it. Be sure to point out everything that is wrong with it or that needs to be replaced. Or better yet is to find parts or a whole vehicle from a private party. Also, take a look at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ezfindparts.com>www.ezfindparts.com</a>. This site is different from most of the "parts locator" sites in that it actually finds something. They even include shipping to your door.

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

20. nofeartruckin00

Found a '80 3/4 ton pickup for $600, but he doesnt know what gears he has. No tags on the truck anywhere that say what it is, i may just ask to pull the cover. Its a long bed, would i need to get drive shafts from somewhere else to put these axles on my truck?

Got Dirt?