Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ring & Pinion whinning/humming noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by la_blazer82, May 20, 2005.

1. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

Could this be from the gear set themselves (bought Genuine Gears from 4WParts - that's all they carry), or is it the install? I've read up on some install articles, and there is mention of possible noisy gears if they are set up too 'centered' (?) or incorrectly. :confused: There is no other noise or problems, other than the humming/whinning noise

I in no way will do this myself, just want to know possible solutions. Humming starts at about 45-50 mph

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will jump in on this like Readymix, but I believe that a loud humming is badly set gears. Check the case to see if it's getting hot. If it is then you've got a prob. I think I remember reading that some gears are noisier than others but I don't know by how much. You could drop the cover and see how your contact pattern looks and look for signs of heat. Good luck.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Theres your answer. They are crap gearsets. Dont set up very good and, well, noisy.

It could be bearings, but there more of a high pitched noise.