Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

riots

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by potato76, Apr 24, 2002.

1. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

Anyone catch the special on mtv about the L.A. riots it told a minor fraction of the story but was something to remember. Especially right now it seems like the U.S. is headed in that same direction today. Its weird how history repeats itself.Hopefully that will never happen again.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

huh? I never watch Mtv, so I didn't see it. Are you talking about the Rodney King riots? Why are we headed in the same direction again?

3. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

Well as far as recession(not sure on spelling here either) and the gang violence has risen again.And i wasnt really specific so thats my fault. But alot of the music is starting to change now, not the same as before no where near.It just seems that alot of things are changeing just as they were then.Maybe its just where i live.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah it's called getting OLD. hehehehe I know I'm in trouble when I go food shopping and they're playin' JIMI HENDRIX on MUSAC..../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

hey im not getting old im 19.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I know this is a misdirection on this thread, but <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

and the gang violence has risen again

<hr></blockquote>
    I think can be attributed to LAPD. CRASH has been dismantled and the internal strife they have going on has put a damper on enforcement efforts.

7. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

most definately. And the fact that the govt could care less about rebuilding that part of LA.If they would invest some time rebuilding our own country before they go and rebuild others than we wouldnt be so bad off.

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Which ones? Back in the 90's or the ones from the I think was 60's? We were in LA (Anaheim) when the ones broke out in the 90's. The gas station we stopped at in South Central to pee at driving down got burned to the ground driving home we couldn't believe it.... that was crazy stuff.... but it was gonna happen because those folks down there, man to see how they live, I can see why you'd crack.... talk about a small piece of hell....

9. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

Watch out if the Lakers win. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

What amazed me is they tore their own stuff up and the stuff in their own neighborhoods. "I'm mad at you so I am going to burn my house down, then I am going to tear up the stores in my neighborhood, then I am going to cry because I have no place to live and have to drive 30 miles to buy groceries.. no wait, I can drive because I helped destroy my car." ......What friggin' idiots. I bet that is a move they, in their superior wisdom, never regretted..

11. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

They wernt destroying their own things, they were destroying stores where people who owned them were treating them bad.None of the store owners were black.They were korean, mexican and other nationalities.Its wrong that they did it,and they are idiots i dont disagree there.BUT it could have been prevented had rodney king not been beaten to death by police, had black people not been treated poorly in their own neighborhood, and had the govt gave a rats ass about any of the people in their neighborhoods.They are 100% wrong for destroying their town but its like if you beat an animal for long enough its going to beat back.

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Last I heard Rodney was still alive./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

Didn't he get busted for a DUI ?

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

First off Rodney was no choir boy ok. Yeah no one deserves a beating like that unless their a child molester, but he wasn't a saint either. Anyways I don't see anyway someone can defend the actions taken by individuals of any community that would have the gall to burn down stores, loot and become violent because someone didn't win a court case! I'm a white male and the next time I see a white male wronfully commited of a crime or not get his way in a court case should I destroy my own town or beat someone up? Hell no! That is so lame. Everyone in this country has the same rights under the constitution so If you live in the getto and can't get your act together to bad. I always here how there is no jobs, well get off your a$$ and commute to where the jobs are like most other people do. Is that so hard or maybe move to where the jobs are, duh. It's pretty funny how imigrents with hardly no education from places like Mexico can come here and land a job.

15. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I agree ! I don't like to talk about racial stuff too often, but sometimes I have to speak ! Rodney King is a piece of crap ! I'm not saying he deserved to be beaten as severly as he did, although I do feel he needed to be beaten ! He was fighting back after he was told numerous times to lay down .... The famous video that most people saw was a small amount of the total video ! Next, I agree with the point of white people going to trial and being found guilty for something they were clearly deserving of ......... whites don't riot and feel that they were screwed ! It just seems that the majority of the black community is just waiting for something like this to happen so they can scream how screwed they are ! They pull the race card at any given opportunity ! Don't get me wrong, I hate all races equally ! There are good and bad in everybody ......... The thing that ticks me off is the fact that some people can't just face the fact that somebody deserves what they get !

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Did any of you people ever hear the ENTIRE story of the Rodney King incident?????

Before you guys make comments about his poor treatment you should get the full story...... And Rodney King is still alive and kicking, BTW, with at least 3 more convictions under his belt since his beating. Sounds to me he didn't get beat up enough./forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

And then there's the sympathy issue. You guys feel sorry for people who set their own buildings on fire and then shot at the firefighters who responded to the blaze? You can "feel" for the kind of people who dragged a driver from his cement truck, beat him to the ground, and then proceeded to shoot him and smash his head into the pavement with cinder blocks while giving a TV chopper the "Black Power" salute?

GIVE ME A FRIGGN' BREAK!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

If you are sad or mad about your lot in life, you have the power to change things around in your favor. I have zero sympathy for people who are stuck in bad situations and stay there because it's easier than working to better themselves. When I was 18, I was going nowhere in life and one day woke up and realized that my job at 7-11 wasn't going to help me make my dreams come true. I applied to a whole bunch of companies that did pipeline work and landed a job 500 miles from home. I worked 13-16 hours a day for 4 months and learned as much as I could. It really sucked to be away from my friends and thinking of them going to parties and meeting chicks while I was stuck in Northern Alberta in the middle of the bush surrounded by hardcore blue-collar dudes. All my work paid off, however, when I returned to civilization and applied at the local Gas Company. I was hired out of hundreds of applicants and next month is my 14th anniversary with the co.

If I can do better, anyone can do better. I don't care what race you are or what social background you come from, opportunity is found, not magically granted. And hard work does pay off........

17. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

First off i know rodney king is alive and it was just an expression.Second how many times did i say that i KNOW they were wrong.Two wrongs dont make a right.Have you guys ever been to south central LA.How do you get a job when people take one look at you and say no your not getting a job here because your black, or asian, or mexican.How do you move to another city where you can get a job if you cant afford to live in that city?Half of the people down there arent worth saving but there are people form those neighborhoods that are pretty much stuck there.im not saying what they did was right im just saying that it was bound to happen.

18. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I just went a looked at your profile and now I see why you wrote what you did ......... unless it's a joke type of thing ?

19. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I tend to keep out of this kind of discussion too, but not this time I guess.

I do live in Los Angeles, and yes I've been many times to south central. One of my dearest friends was raised in Watts and I often visited his parents there (by myself). He is bright hardworking, educated and successful, thanks to his own efforts and in spite of his environment. And black.

As soon as you (or the person) determines that one is a victim, some ability to survive well and prosper is lost. Victims never win. Environment may make it harder, but everyone can be a success. Most of anyone's problems are in their own head. They (as do we all) just find barriers in the environment to support (justify) their failure and make themselves "right" for failing.

Everyone in L.A. has access to books. If one can read, one can learn anything. And in most large urban areas, if you are the best and brightest, not many look at color or race. You don't need fancy schools to become literate and competent. Competence and persistence, accompanied by some kind of pleasant personality, is a workable formula for success.

In Los Angeles, the majority of the population is Mexican, Asian or black. Whites have been a minority here for some time.

OK, I'm off the soapbox now.

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The Media should be held responsible for all the Rodney King related riots. I was down town Atlanta and while no where on the scale of the LA stuff We did have rioting and we did have looting and cars turned over and burned. THe fact of the matter is the media was very selective in what they showed and it influenced a lot of people in a negative way. The cops involved, if you recall were not found guilty and that is what caused the riot and then their (the cops) civil liberties were violated when the were tried again for the same crime.
    Back to the video and why they were not found guilty in their first trial. The media made a concence decision to edit off what lead into the beating. Then they sensionalized what they did show. I managed to catch the full video before it was edited down by shear luck.
    It started by Rodney being told to place his hands behind his head and told he was being arrested and he didn't. Then it progressed to peper spray that Rodney was so out of it didn't even notice. Then they hit him with a Taser gun that again because he was altered he shrugged off got back up an lunged at a cop. Then the part 99% of you saw. The part where 6 cops jumped on this drugged up fool and beat the stew out of him to get him under control and cuffed.
    Well gee that makes a lot of difference when you see the 2 minutes that lead up to the 30 second butt kicking the guy got. If you had seen that part would you have felt the same way? I sure don't. Seems to me old Rodney has a drug problem and was a wee bit out of control and was resisting arrest. Not that he was targeted for anything to do with race as this got turned into. The original jury saw it that way to. Then "Race" was screamed and we had a riot. This caused the courts to violate the civil liberties of double indemnity to be broken and retry the cops. Of couse the new Jury that was no longer impartial, was not shown the full tape. They (judge, jury, city hall) were terrified of another riot and those guy's got screwed.
    I have met quite a few racist in my life...A few of them were even white.