Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rivet removel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dunc03, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I broke the upper shock mount on the rear driver side of my 86. Upon finding a replacement I took a air chisel to the top of the rivets to remove the bracket. Much to my dismay when I got the bracket off I still could not remove the rivets. I can not get at them from above to drive them out, nor from the bottom due to the gas tank and other cross members that are also riveted on. I know that a number of you have done this before, and I'm wondering how you went about it. I tried to tighten a bench clamp on them to drive them out, but that didn't even budge them. I drilled a hole in the frame for now, but I figure there is a reason gm engineers put the bracket where they did, and I would like to get it back on. Thanks for any idea or techniques that you might have.

2. Danswift79

Danswift79 Registered Member

My Best rivet removing method is the torch but if you are set against it, drill them out. Use a metal marker to put an indention and the start with a small bit. Go bigger each time and take it slow to not wear out the bits

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/79_Blazer_(Danswift79)>CK5 Gallery </a>
    God Blessed Us With General Motors and cursed us with <font color=orange>rust</font color=orange>

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

honestly, the easiest way, is to take the gas tank out and get in there with an angled drill, either an angled airdrill, or an angle attachment for your regular drill, thats how i got mine out, if you do use fire, youd want to take the tank out anyway, exploding gas tanks hinder the repair process :)

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/rivetremoval
    Nice technical article on rivet removal. I've typically ground off the head and hammered it through. However, if the rivet is tight it makes it a lot easier if you drill the shank half way through to relieve some of the radial pressure.

5. mudboggink5

mudboggink5 1/2 ton status

:D:grind:grinder with cutting wheel, and have fun.:D

6. Fred_M1010

Fred_M1010 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've removed my fair share of rivets, and I think it's easiest to do it with an angle-grinder (If there is enough space).

First grind down the heads
    [​IMG]

Then remove the mount, or whatever you want removed
    [​IMG]

Then you have to grind down the remaining parts of the rivets as well.
    [​IMG]
    After that they almost fall out by themselves.

7. buefchris

buefchris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've drilled the rivet frist then taken the air chisel to it.
    This maybe information too little too late:o.