Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rivit vs. welding floor panels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

i dont have access to a welder and since im just going to be installing floor panels i was wondering if riviting the floorpanels would be ok? I know that welding would be the better choice but i don't have one[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

I was talking to a buddy this weekend and he was telling me about some kind of sealant, almost like the stuff they use on windshields is what he said. Apparently lots of bodyshops are starting to use it, and it really sticks like hell. So I mentioned using rivets with it and he says you wouldn't even need them! Maybe someone else can shed some light on what it's called, he couldn't remember. Oh, by the way, that wouldn't happen to be your sister in the pic would it, cause I know this guy.........

MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"

3. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

The glue is called Pannel adhesive 3m makes it along with a host of others it is a two part adhesive the smaller tubes dont require a special caulk gun but the larger tubes do. you can pick this stuff up at most auto body supply places the large tube cost around 30 bucks and so does the special gun. Not sure on the price of the smaller one. They say the glue is stronger then welding and does not stress the surrounding metal.

My opion on the rivets is the holes needed to use them will eventually rust and the pannel will come loose.

The adhesive takes about 20 min to set up so a few rivets or self taping screws would not be a bad idea to hold them in place in the mean time.

Carefull where you buy your pans JC Whitneys were cheepand they covered alot of area but they are far from drop in like they claim.
    good luck,
    Carl....75Blazer....Manhattan Il