Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RJ's Thoughts - FARK Gun Argument Over Walmart CCW Shooting

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Resurrection_Joe, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Both sides were being silly so I decided to write out what I thought, but I need to wait 23 more hours after registering a minute ago to post.

So, here you are

No situation is perfect. Not everyone is going to live.

I don't mind people who are against concealed carry or even firearms in general, just please don't come after mine.

I think the problems are the result of a lack of personal responsibility and morality, along with a large amount of people being uninformed and reactionary.

I was recently in a "situation" involving an attack. It was easily resolved, but it was interesting to see who cried and ran around in terror, and who was calm and handled the situation. The people who stayed calm were myself and a 50 something man who was, for lack of a better term, and old world "cowboy"

Everyone just needs to get along

The defense of life is important. You can have people responsible for a large amount of other peoples' safety, or everyone can be taught to be responsible for themselves. This will never be true, but if it happens enough, there will be enough responsible people everywhere to help out society. It's just not carrying pistols. It's stopping to help someone on the side of the road. My gun allows me to do this with no fear. No man should be so afraid as to not do what's right, be that with fists, hands, knives, or guns.

Remember that (I hate to use this example) that a vastly outnumbered group of people created a massacre and atrocity because they had at their disposal.... box cutters

There needs to be a commitment to do what's right, to the point of embarrassment, to the point of violence, to the point of wounding, to the point of death.

We will never have a completely perfect solution, so it's useless to argue. It's a question of personal responsibility. The police can help you a lot of time in violent situations, but sometimes they can't. At that point your commitment to pacifism comes into its true test. Will you die for what you believe in? An armed man has the same decision. In a split second he has to consider being sued, hurt, killed, killing someone, accidentally killing someone he didn't intend to, wounding bystanders, the safety of not becoming involved, and his responsibility for the life and death of himself or someone else.

Make your decision, stick with it, and try to live with it if you can. Kill or be killed, kill or have someone relatively innocent dead for your inaction. I won't grudge you your fear, I will be sad.

I hope my pistols never leave their holsters. I hope I never have to hurt anyone. I hope discussion becomes to main weapon of conflict. I also hope I can keep my pistols, and I hope that if used, it will be in the most logical and just way.

The man did what he should have, I believe, and a woman was possibly saved. He made his decision. A man died as a result of an armed citizen brought on by his own action.

It's not a question of pure wrong or right, but of what is the better situation. The woman being alive is the better, in my opinion. It may have been resolved in another way where everyone was alive, but that may have been balanced by the risk of even more people dying that the attacker.

Stay safe, and if you choose to, stay armed. Respect people and be just and intelligent.

No justice should ever be done in glory, only in sadness, that someone had to die for the best outcome.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just found a whole new world of respect for you RJ, extremely well said. :bow:

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

do tell

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

It's actually pretty lame, that's why I didn't fill in details.

My aunt's dog went absolute bat **** crazy and started mauling a small dog horrifically.

My aunt, the same one who yelled at me for stopping at midnight to help a stranded black couple in a beat up Honda civic, who then freaked out when a very nice black man rather foolishly set his car on fire when he thought to use his Bic lighter as a light source, and who wondered how I could stay so calm as to direct the man to my truck to get the cooler to put out the fire, started screaming and crying, as did my cousin, who is well meaning left. My aunts frieds got tense, the girls there got tense or ran around and cried. My Uncle Joe was oblivious. I was slow in realizing the situation and was across the room but calm. My Uncle Jack, calmly went to the fight and grabbed the dog and pulled it's jaws apart.

After two more attacks, they put it down. I volunteered to put it down out back but they went to a vet.

Observe a crisis situtation some time, observe those who stay calm and help out. Those are your true heroes, not the stylish gun flashing kid down the street. Not the gruff thugs.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will be plowing for those who didn't"