Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RMS question

Discussion in 'Audio' started by MudFrog, Mar 17, 2003.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

My subs can handle 125w RMS, I'm looking at a Kenwood Amp that supports 150w RMS when bridged, is this going to burn up my subs? I know it's only a 25w difference but better safe then sorry.

2. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

it shouldnt if u dont run them with full power on the amp it will have controls to control it and u can turn the power downt to them and it would be fine.

Clint

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You'll be fine......

Don't get TOO stressed out over the "spec" stuff....it will be virtually IMPOSSIBLE to generate a signal that will pull a continuous amount of current from any amp!

You are more likely to blow a speaker with too LITTLE power, than with too MUCH power.... if the amp goes into "clipping"....that's when speakers get damaged. If you really care to know the reasons, I can get into it more....but your simple answer today, is that the amp and speaker combo you are looking at will be fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Simple answers are very good!

5. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yeah don't worry about over power..i run 2 12inch jl audios that are rated about 125rms..and i'm running a 500watt rms amp to each one..total of two amps..and it pounds the heck out of everything...and no problems

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

it better to over power them, over uder powering them and trunning the Vol up to high.