Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

road construction, water table- water in basement- anyone??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Nov 23, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Our "circle" went through major construction this summer/fall. New water lines, catch basins, and repitched the road. The final top coat of asphalt will not be done until next spring.

Since this has happend- our basement now has water in it...we have 4 rows of firewood- 20" each row..and the water has come out from under it. It has now travelled 28 feet to under my water heater/washer/dryer...

The catch basins are higher than the road, because the top coat isn't on yet. We have a high water table here to begin with, and since our yard/road cant drain into the catch basins, it's draining into our cellar.

I have compiled a letter to our public works dept, town select board, and village trustees. Problem is I am the Asst Rec Director in this town, and don't want to tick anyone off. I have taken pictures of the basement, our yard, and also the catch basins. Do I have any "legal recourse" in this matter. We have a basement "expert" coming in the 2nd week of December to tell us how much $$ to now install drains in our basement...but I don't think I should have to pay. We have NEVER had water in our basement- John has owned the house since 88, and I've been here since 93.

When I talked to the Public Works Director last week about it, he said "if anything we corrected the water problem" "it's nothind we did" "now your like your neighbors" (they have sump pumps.)..

Worst part is that my wood furnace has been cranking for 3 weeks now, must be 100' down in my basement...and the water is still around.

HELP!
    Brandy

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Check and see if the constuction outfit who did it was on schedule. The asfalt has to be laid down at a certin tempature and a certine moisture content. They probably took to long and ran out of good wether. They could be liable. From the way you describe it your "circle" is now a trench and with the high water content in your area the water has no where to go but out. If there is water standing in the "circle" I would say fawkem and make a trench some where to let it drain if thats posible. Oh and don't bother with a letter yourself let a lawyer handel that and you should get results.

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Here's the deal with the companies- 1st company did the water main's. They were on schedule- 2nd company did the catch basins, and pitched the road- they were behind schedule. the Town highway dept came in to get them back on schedule- assisted with where the driveways meet the roads etc.. 3rd company came in- they are the paving company- they put down the base coat of asphalt. Said top coat wont be put on till spring...though they base coat was down September 19th. 4th company came in and redid the concrete around the catch basins- because they were set for the top coat, they are 3" higher than the base coat.....

The town use to put the entire job out to bid, but this year, they started a breakdown bid job- which is what this one is. The 2nd company could have done it all, since they are an excavating company and a paving company...but they were not the low bidder.

John has a call into his company attorney- I'll post the outcome.

oh- the circle is where we live- it's not a "street"..its a circle with houses on the outside, and the inside- were on the inside, where they pitched the road to...

Brandy

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    its a circle with houses on the outside, and the inside- were on the inside, where they pitched the road to...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats where they screwed up. They should have pitched it to the outside of the circle not a pitch to the inside this way the water could drain to the outsides if they did the gutter work right and Im assuming that the center of the circle is higher than the outside. Of course Im not sure of N.H. codes. All in all someone should of had it done before it started to rain. Tell you what you just rent a D-8 Cat with a 6 way blade and pay for my air line ticket and I promise no more water in the basement. Of course the city may be a tad pissed when I make a new cannal but it will drain /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif