Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ROAD KILL!!...Dodge Caravan 1--Racoon 0 !

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diesel4me, Sep 14, 2006.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

:doah: ...Driving home tuesday night at 10 pm ...going about 65-70 on Rt.495 ,just after road construction that narrowed the highway to 2 lanes..right after the road was back to 3 lanes,everyone guns it,and gets right back up to 80 mph like usual..I'm in the high speed lane,and everyone else is pulling away from me like I'm standing still!..:mad:

All of a sudden,everyone beside me stomps on their brakes,and swerve all over!..guy next to me nearly hit me--I pulled to the left as far as I could,without going off the shoulder into the median!..then I see why--a pair of glowing eyes appears ,and they dart right into my path!..I had about 1 second to realize it was a HUGE Racoon,about a 30 lb one!..

I started to swerve,but I didn't have enough time or ROOM for evasive action--still doing about 65mph!I cringed as I heard a "WHUMP",and a noise that sounded like a broom being dragged across the side of the van..:doah: ..every car behind me was all over the road,I heard skidding tires,saw smoke from them in my rear view..

R.I.P Rocky Racoon!...:frown1: :frown1:

I felt horrible,but there was nothing I could do,other than cause myself and other innocent motorists to be killed or injured instead,had I tried to avoid it!..I thought sure there would be body damage or a flat tire ,but I made it home OK,and to my suprise,no blood or guts on the van anywhere!..I don't think I ran it over,more like it ran into the side of the van,or maybe the side of the front tire,and was tossed into the air...:doah:

Makes you realize how fast life can END,if someone gets in your vehicle's path!..I'm glad it wasn't someones pet,or even a KID!...its been about 5 years since I hit an animal--it was cat VS my VW Jetta the last time.. ..right in front of its owners eyes too!--lady screamed bloddy murder!..her toddler chased the cat out into the street from behind a fence..:( ..glad I didn't hit the kid!--thankfully,it had enough sense to STOP when he saw my car coming...

I'm thankfull I went SLOW on the road to my house right after the racoon incident--a big DEER (a doe,about 300 lbs!),was standing in the middle of the street right before mine,and I had to STOP completely--it just stood there,and stared at me for several seconds,like it was saying "You killed my friend!"..I blew the horn,and shut the headlights off,and it bolted into the woods!...:eek1: ..I crept the rest of the way home,at about 20 mph!..

I think I'm staying home more at night from now on..its that time of year when more deer are on the roads here than cars at times...I'd hate to nail one in my Ford,I'd be the one carried away in a bushel basket,in peices most likely ,if that occoured!..:yikes:

2. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

Some guy on Saturday morning stopped to a full stop for a damn rabbit. I almost hit the guy.

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

MAN, what an eventfull evening!!the last time something like that happened to me i was going aboot 15 in a 25 and a dog shot out past a car and lucky for scraps i had 40.s.i went right over him.BUT unfortunatly with the same truck right before CHRISTMAS the whole fam was up north getting trees for the holiday.as we left the tree place and was headin down the road,a bunny was sitting in my path.all the fam went around it but for some reason I aimed for it.SPLAT!!!!me and my brother laughed until we found out my aunt was videoing the whole thing cuz we had all the trees in my truck."hes not gonna hit it is he?"is all i heard as we watched the tape after we got to there house.boy what a look i got.

4. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Rocky Racoon's cousin was in my garden Monday night, Rocky Racoon's cousin will not be coming back to my garden.

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

:haha: :haha: :haha:

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

So did you use a minivan on him?

7. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Nearly whacked a black bear the other night/morning on my way to work.

It was dark and I couldn't make it out too well at first and I thought:
    "What the **** is wrong with that massive dog?...... oh, wait..... It's a bear, that's what's wrong with that massive dog."

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

9. OrangeCrushK10

Yeah, like that, but not walking upright.... and my eyes are bad. I need a new pair of glasses.

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I hate raccoons, and I hate squirrels so I'll aim for them suckas but anything else I'll stop for or take evasive action.

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hate when people swerve all over the road nearly plowing into other cars to try and avoid a stupid rodent.

Hold strait if you have no room and plow over the dang thing. In Los Angeles some bus driver decided to jump on the brakes and basically stop for a dog on the freeway during rush hour traffic and it pouring rain. One of my OTR trucks (loaded at 80K) can't get stopped like the little bus did and slams into the bus. Nearly totaled my truck, scared the hell out of a bunch of children, halfway ruined the driver's record, and cost me $10k, all over a stupid dog and a nearly as stupid bus driver.

12. OrangeCrushK10

I've trained my dogs to hate squirrels ever since the little fluffy tailed bastards chewed through my window screens to break into my house and eat all of my bread.

Ever since then I've declared war on the little bastards.

Nobody breaks into my house to steal my bread and gets away with it!