Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Road Respect and Your Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jmpd, Mar 30, 2000.

1. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

I want to know about the respect on the road everybody gets when driving their K5"s.

I know when I drive my stock 86 4x4 X-tra cab or my wifes Acura Legend. I get no respect at all.

I feel like Rodney Dangerfield.

When I drive The Blaze, people let me in, they back off, they don't tailgate. They don't try and squeeze in front of me in rush hour, because I guess they don't like to see that 33" tire level with thier window.

Just wondering. Any problems with Road Rage? You or Them?

Michael

2. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

In Washington, DC area, it doesn't matter. I mean, I just don't understand why people try to get underneath the trailer hitch at 65 MPH. No skin off my nose 'cause I know when I hit the brakes & they get stuck, I'd just drop it in 4-Lo and leave 'em sitt'n there.

However, I do tend to get more breaks from other 4X4 trucks at merges etc. Also, the wife noticed how other drivers of lifted Chevy rigs tend to wave when we drive near each other. That's kind of neat; our own brotherhood!

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

3. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've noticed the same thing. Pre 92 blazer and jimmy drivers often throw me a wave or a thumbs up. Reminds me of my bikey days. It's cool. As far as more respect, I don't know, it might be a projected attitude.
    John

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE BLAZER!!!!
    (and sisterhood)

I like that, I like that alot. Now all we need is a secret handshake and hats w/horns. Oxen horns maybe??

Our primary agenda could be to get the yuppie SUV buyers to return to their Volvo's and Minivans.

I have a weird tingling sensation in my big toe that tells me others will reply...:)

the Goose

Be Kind to Animals.........pull them out of your grill.

5. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

The only thing that pisses me off is when the idiot in front of me slows down because my headlights are shining in his/her mirrors. If it annoys them why don't they get the frick out of my way?! ARGHHHH Thats what causes road rage.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

I know what you all are talking about, respect and all. There is a street right outside my school where many of the students park when the lot is full. After school that quickly becomes very crowded and only one car can fit through at a time, and I have never had to wait once. I just love to watch the smaller cars and "suvs" get out of my way real quick! The only thing that pisses me off about driving my Jimmy, is hearing it called a B*onco! Learn how to read people! Heard way too iften is "Hey, who's B*onco is that?, its sweet" AHHH!!!

Blazer: A hole in the air, surrounded by metal, into which one pours money

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

That is what the 130 Watt Pencil Beams are mounted on the front of the beast are for.........."oh, you don't like my H4 100 watt headlights, how about this!?!? BAM" Meltdown city! [​IMG]

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

8. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I agree with Mr. Red. DC drivers are the worst. When I drive my 86 K5 I always give them a good scare. Nobody here knows what a yield sign means. They just pull right out into traffic without even looking. I pushed a BMW up on the median about a week ago because he tried to pull out in front of me. I held my ground and didn't budge. What's that P.O.S going to do to my truck but put a scratch on it. Damn yuppie!!!

9. I love driving around in my Blazer!! I like the way people stare, or kids come running to look at the turck while I am driving in the neighborhoods.

I always wave to other Chevy owners...We are all on the same team!

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

10. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Maybe we need our own sign, like the gang members.

With one hand flash the letter "K" and with the other "5"

Just kiddin

The other thing that drivers do that gets under my skin is to, pull out in front of me or merge in front of me, going a lot slower, and wonder why they see nothing but bumper in their rear view mirror, and hear tire and smell tire smoke. while in their little tin box

Just an observation.

11. 3030

3030 Registered Member

My 80 k5 is so ugly and beat up that I believe everyone can tell I don't give a [censored] if I hit them or not. Results, peole make an effort to avoid jacking with me on the road.

There ain't no way I'll get stuck in that hole.....oops.

12. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

My K5 has three colors on it not including rust and my sister say's it just screames UNINSURED!! People realy don't want to total their honda on the bottom of my axel while they pay 300 a month for it. My girlfriend has a 97 Chevy caviler and she can't believe how much nicer people are to you when your in a lifted Blazer.

Getsome

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have 2 K5's and even between the 2 I get different responce. The 79 is fairly stock but plenty of trail rash. once most people see the rash they start backing down. Once they hear the BAAAAARAAAAPPPPP from the Flow Masters the get out of the way. The 75 is lifted and it's a beater for lack of a better word. The truck is painted flat desert Tan. The front bumper is mean It is made with 3/4 inch uprights that have Clevis holes. the Winch deck is made out of 1/4 plate and the ends are 4x4 inch 3/16 wall box. The grill is expanded steel Not only does the truck have trail rash it has rock rash From Tellico. People really think twice about cutting it off! Here is a pic http://www.coloradok5.com/erichummel.htm
    Ohh as far as tail gaters...hang a Gas can on the back...they usualy back off when the see that.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

14. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

Well, if I'm around town people know it's me, and I get no respect because I'm female, but I have really dark tint, so if I'm out of town, you can't tell my gender, so people tend to let me pass, or merge ect....it's pretty awesome :)
    It's a big difference from driving my little bitty VW.

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey Grim, Sweet truck...I only hope mine looks that good when ready to roll [​IMG]

Did you cut the fenders, cause they look huge???

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

16. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

jusy before i got the blaze, i had a '65 cadillac. black, lowered, four door, long hair behind the wheel. don't remember if i was ever cut off. car was huge. and it wasn't pristine, and i would've tapped someone's door with her if they tried to muscle me out of a merging lane or whatever.
    now that i have a clean '89, i'm not as willing to trade paint, but the size does help.
    what i really don't like is when someone can let me in, but they decide to show me how badassed their freakin little pickup is. like they just won a battle for all limp-wristed, myopic crash test dummies. whatever, dude. i'm just tryin to get home.

can't wait for that push bar, though. gonna go with flat black. easier to hide the evidence. i mean scratches.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

17. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

These posts were really fun to read. I enjoy hearing all the good stories. My Blazer has so many dents in it (not from me) I usually don't have trouble getting around town. As for tailgating...no way. Somebody before me put on this huge, nasty rear bumper that could survive a tornado. Man I love it. Its a good bumper to drink beer on.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

18. The only thing that would do damage to my rear bumper is a larger truck. Cars would just go right under. Not good for the rest of my truck however...but that what insurance is for.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

19. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

There is no such thing as "road respect" in Boston...

20. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

Just "MASSHOLES" [​IMG]