Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Road trip across the state with pics, got another 454

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 29, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My '83 K30 6.2 Diesel truck has sat non-running since I went to Bend, Oregon 3 weeks ago.

Tuesday night I got the new starter for it and took off Wednesday morning for North Bend, Wa. about 250 miles away from Spokane.

Picked up a '77 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 454. The owner of the truck paid his "mechanic" for a 205 T-case and to have it installed in place of a 203. He wasn't happy when I looked under and saw a 203 with new seals and told him his mechanic probably just fixed the leaks in his old T-case and threw it back in there. The same mechanic put a new cam in the motor. Maybe thats why it doesn't run right and this guy gave up on the truck and sold it for $750. It has open headers and backfires (he thinks it's just timing).

So, I drive it on the trailer and drive home. Luckily the pass was clear, though we still did see a few bad accidents. Good thing the 6.2 is too gutless to go fast enough to be in any sort of accident. From the time I left to the time we got home was just under 11 hours. Not too bad for 500 miles in a truck that can't go much over 55 or 60.

NorthBend2005 002.jpg

NorthBend2005 003.jpg

NorthBend2005 011.jpg

NorthBend2005 010.jpg

NorthBend2005 016.jpg

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

nice,i guess you found a way to get him to hold it for you eh?

man i got to move out there seens every truck is dirt cheap!!!
    well at least it doesent have a 60 :D

3. mountainexplorer

My Dana 60 quest is almost over and complete. Time to go back like I used to and start collecting running big blocks again; at least to last me through 2006.

4. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Dude, I swear you have a problem. But you are my hero :bow: :bow: Maybe one day I will have a massive hoard of parts like you do :woot:
    James

5. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

your stories are great. you should write a big book of truck stories.

glad to see you've a another sheep into the flock. "it's safe, you're home now."

6. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

got another one, good work.

7. mountainexplorer

"Mountainexplorers tales of Dana 60 and big block adventures". Not sure who would look at that title in a book store and buy it. Most people wouldn't even understand the title. :haha:

People who know me say I'm nuts for going on all kinds of road trips to get stuff. And they usually hate driving. For me, it's an excuse to go somewhere and see new things or have a new adventure. Sometimes it's challenging to see what solutions I can come up with to get home when I get stranded somewhere.

8. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Allan you need to buy my set up I can't believe the trailer still works shoot me a PM we will talk.

9. mountainexplorer

M ehaving a trailer with working brakes and proper lights that is actually solid and not coming apart at the seams? That would make life way too simple and easy for me. I sure wish I did have a trailer like that though. :D