Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Road Trip check list

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cbbr, Jan 5, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Going on a road trip - 3000 miles round trip. When I bought my "burb, the dealership gave me service records, but really the PO only did oil and fixed stuff that broke. Truck has 97,000 original miles. Planning on going through the 'Burb and doing the following-

Oil change
    Tranny fluid (and filter)
    Diffs oil
    Fuel filter
    Radiator flush
    Grease Zirks

Anything else that anyone suggests? Anything to look out for?

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Check all your hoses and other fluids obviously. Id check the PSI in your spare tire. I dunno thats about it I suppose, just common sense stuff...

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Belt & hoses

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I bring a spare truck!!

When I went to nashville TN in 1992,my "list" was two pages long!--I brought spare altenator,starter,complete HEI distributor,gas filters,fan belts,put brand new hoses on,a 12v compressor and tire plug kit,a gallon jug of oil,and dextron trans fluid,2 new U-joints(just in case!)--in short,I brought everything but a short block and a spare tranny and rear axle!--but I'm paranoid about being stuck on the side of the road without the tools and parts to fix something,seeing I know how too--*(and how bad you can get raped if you do have to get towed in to a shop in a strange place!--theme from "deliverance" playing here!)--
    -But my trip was mostly uneventful,even though my van had 138,000 miles on it and it was over 90 degrees the whole time--nothing serious went wrong,I did fold the tailpipe in half on a high curb at a gas station,and it kinda skipped and ran weird in VA,but it cleared up by the time I hit TN--the U-joints were not the occaisional "clunking" I heard in nashville,it turned out to be the differential case was hogged out by a spider gear,found that out 2 years later when I decided to finally put in those u-joints,and it didnt get rid of the noise--so I had to put a used rear end in it--but all in all it did pretty good for going 2500 miles in one week,in a 21 year old van....:crazy:

Oh yeah--one thing I DID forget to bring was SPARE KEYS!!!(locked myself out the first day in TN!!--luckily a security gaurd at the KOA had a slim-jim,and I got the door unlocked!:blush: :blush:
    And I'd bring more food next time too--in case I do end up broke down--at least I wouldnt be hungry!..:crazy:

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks, Thats one heck of a list. I have spare belt/hoses and have changed the belt already, so I think that thats covered. I have read the "What do you bring" which has a more than complete list of parts to bring.