Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Road trip done, home safe now (pic's inside)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tRustyK5, Mar 18, 2007.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, my daughter Jessica and I flew from Abbotsford BC to Calgary on Friday afternoon where Paul's lovely wife Kim-Can and his daughters picked us up. It was Jessica's first time flying and she really enjoyed it.

Of course with all our planning we completely overlooked the fact we'd have to deal with rush hour leaving Calgary...:doah:

A short while later we made it back to Paul and Kim's place with a couple of pizza's...so we all ate, relaxed and BS'd the night away. Paul and I pre-packed the car with all the stuff we needed the next day. Just before we all hit the sack we figured we'd snap a pic...

[​IMG]

Paul with his youngest daughter Vanessa, and that'd be my eldest daughter Jessica beside me (ugly mug on far right :rolleyes: )

Saturday morning we got up early and headed for the rec property where Paul and Kim keep the '83 GMC. We were slowed down a bit by a bit of snow, but otherwise it was just a nice scenic drive. Jessica took a bunch of pic's with her cell phone during this part of the trip...so I'll have to get those uploaded next.

We got to the property and pulled the '83 out of it's little resting spot and figured we'd swap in the new heater core and give it a good going over. Some before pic's)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After having a better look there is a whole sound deadening cover wrapped around the entire AC/Heater box in the engine bay that would have had to come off to get the job done. After thinking it over a bit we decided to just leave the heater core repair for me when I got home. Pauls burned up some cell minutes trying to scare up a 12V car heater for us...and finally located one that was on our way home in Invermere (50 miles north of the property).

We drove up to the nearest gas station and filled both tanks a few miles from Paul's place. We left the running boards with Paul...

[​IMG]

Anyways, we got to Invermere and got the heater and then found out that the Trans Canada highway is closed from Golden to Revelstoke due to a massive avalanche in Rogers pass. :doah: Our only alternative route was to double back and take the soutern route along Highway 3. So, we got to see Paul again on our way through. Stopped in and did a minor wiring repair so the portable heater would work. I gotta say, Paul went well above and beyond in helping us out and sweating the details on the truck. It ran flawlessly the entire trip home (685 miles of twisty, steep mountain roads...)

The portable heater was a joke, within 30 minutes the plug in part melted and that was that for the heater. I would have been more upset but it gave off almost no heat anyways. I probably would have been better off taking the $45 I spent on it and having a small fire inside the truck. :p:

Jess and I stopped for Dinner in Cranbrook, then hit up the Wal-mart for a 10 pack of sport socks and a queen sized fleece blanket. With extra socks on and the blanket it was tolerable in the truck. We drove for quite a while where the inside temp of the cab was no more than 34 F...and she never once complained.

We stopped in Grand forks for Saturday night, had a great sleep and a couple of hot showers and hit the road this morning at 7:30 am. I wanted to take some pic's coming through the anarchist pass but the digi cam batteries were dead and the cell phone was not far behind. We had breakfast and picked up some batteries in Osoyoos...and started seeing some nice weather for the first time since Canmore.

This is just outside of Osoyoos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The worst thing that happened to the truck was a small stone ship in the windshield in Manning Park. I was pretty ticked off because I know Paul and Kim had just replaced that windshield. :doah:

Anyways we made it home around 3 pm this afternoon...safe and sound.

[​IMG]

Fuel mileage for the trip was 23.6 mpg (to the US gallon) average. :pimp:

I could have gotten the entire way home on one fill but it was less expensive in Abbotsford. Being able to drive over 700 miles between fill ups is pretty cool!

Now I'm gonna grab a beer and put my feet up. Thanks again Paul and Kim for everything!! :bow: :bow:

Rene

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Glad you made it home safe!!

And damn, 23.6 MPG! That's great :D :bow: !!

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sweet deal Brother. That is a hell of a truck and I'm sure it's got a lot of life left in it. I mean really what do you expect for a grandpa truck:D:haha:

4. tRustyK5

Looks a lot different without the running boards huh? Even Paul was surprised how much it changed the look of the truck...

As for the trucks condition, I'm still blown away by how well taken care of it is. Unmolested, and 99% of everything works...the remainder I'll eventually get taken care of. For a 6.2 truck I found it had power to spare, even in the steep and nasty parts of the mountains I was driving through. I guess being 2WD and 1/2 ton it doesn't weigh a whole lot either.

No mods for this truck...

Rene

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm just happy the truck has stayed in the "family". Believe it or not, that means more to me than anything.

The little diesel served us very well for almost 10 years, and paid for itself several times over, and I'm positive Rene will see many more years of good service from the rig. I know it's in good hands.

Enjoy, my friend!!!! :thumb:

PS. Where the fock is my I-trader message??? :thinking: :rotfl: :rotfl:

6. tRustyK5

How do I do the I-trader thing when there isn't a relevant thread here on CK5?

PM me if you want.

I'm going for dinner, but will be back in an hour or so.

Rene

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Paul, quickly make a for sale post so Rene can leave you the i-trader you want. :thumb:

8. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

that mileage must be a record, damn!

9. tRustyK5

Found the "Two for one" thread in Complete vehicles and used that as the url for the iTrader feedback.

Rene

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

NICE! Gotta love mileage like that from a pickup!

Good to hear the trip went well, even with the no-heat situation. Sounds like you've raised a trooper, too - most young girls I know woulda been squawking the whole ride about being cold...

11. tRustyK5

Thanks, Jess was great the whole trip. I didn't hear any complaining at all. I was pleasantly surprised how she just rolled with things. She did get a bit nervous at one point though. It was about an hour before we stopped for the night...the road had been so beaten by plowing, sanding, etc you could not see the center line at all and the white line along the curbside was very faint. The road was very twisty and we hit some very low cloud. I couldn't see more than 100 feet in front of the truck for about 15 minutes and was down to under 35 mph and trying to guess whether or not i was in my lane or not...

Even then she was pretty good. She spent most of the return trip either reading the map and letting me know what should be coming up next...or watching the signs and keeping me 'honest' on the corner speeds. :D

She's a good navigator, a good portion of this route is one I hadn't ever driven before. I hadn't even taken a look at it on Google before leaving because I assumed we could go home via the Trans Canada.

Rene

12. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a cool trip, scenery was awesome for sure.

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

very cool. a trip with your daughter,meeting cool people, and bringing back a truck????how cool is that?thanks for sharing

14. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Glad the trip went so well inspite of the detour. I'm with you Rene, pulling the boards was definitely a good move as the already super clean truck looks even better.

It's also nice to see you did the trip with your daughter. She sounds like a really good kid and a real trooper especially when she's at an age where most parents aren't "cool". Signs of good parenting. I hope my girls will do stuff like that with me when they reach that age. :thumb:

15. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks good :waytogo: We bought an '85 longbox 2WD Chevy (pretty much the same truck as yours) and the first thing I did when we got it was remove the running boards.

Looks like it was well taken care of. And I think you all know how I'm a big fan of the "bone-stock" look :D

16. tRustyK5

Thanks Craig, this one will remain stock and as clean as I can get/keep it. If I lived where Paul does I would have happily kept the running boards. They were the higher quality formed and welded diamond plate style and did a great job protecting the body from rock chips. We don't have any gravel roads here that that truck will ever see, and very little snow (normally :rolleyes: ) so I felt comfortable removing them.

I just got in from washing it inside and out, sprayed the underside to get the sand and crap from the trip off etc etc. she sure cleans up nice...:bow:

Rene

17. BigDummy89K5

BigDummy89K5 Registered Member Author

Well it's good to hear you and Jess made it home safely my friend.Will have to come over asap and check the new ride.Nice pics and writeup.

18. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Good to hear Rene. Now load it up with all your spare parts and drive its 26 mpg butt to the praries and load me up :D

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for sharing the pics Rene. Glad to hear you copilot was such a trooper as well. My oldest has been my road-trip partner on my last two long drives to get trucks, too. I hope she gets her mothers sense of direction instead of mine:crazy:

20. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a fun trip and a good time to spend a little quality time with your daughter.