Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Road Trip Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Jimmy, Dec 3, 2006.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Quick run from just N of Dallas to Fayetteville, Ark. Pulling a very Light 5X8 trailer.

Up US75 and 69 to Checotah Ok then I40 to I540 343 miles 22.8 gal of gas= 15.04mpg... stayed on the cruise as much as possible running about 74mph. Filled up and drove home without the small trailer...311 miles, 20.2 gal = 15.39mpg.

89 GMC, 33" AT's, 3.73's. Just put new matched flow CFM Tech injectors on my 10K mile 270 hp crate motor. Thinking I may get the ported TB and spacer, although I'm ok with it the way it is.

I think that's pretty good even considering that stretch of OK Sucks major azz. I think if OK were to get an Enema, they'd stick it somewhere along US69...just pick a town (except Eufala) I plan my trips such that I don't have to spend a nickle in that state. I do very much enjoy when I stop to piss on it though.

And....No, I have never gotten a ticket in OK.

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Damn you... I'm only getting 8-10mpg. :mad:

I HAVE to get that crappy Holley off there!

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing your running an OD trans? My 91 burb 700 trans 3.73's and 33s got 10mpg everywhere. Empty or loaded it didn't matter it just got 10.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you have the speedo recalibrated after the tire size change? If not then your mileage isn't accurate which in turn makes your mpg not accurate either. This is of course assuming that you based mileage off of your odometer and not by a given known mileage from point A to point B.

5. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Ah,

What did Oklahoma do to piss in your wheaties? I passed through once, and found it to be great! Just curious.

Manny

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I dunno if that was directed at me or K5Jimmy but I'm running a carb 350/TH350/NP205/4.10s/35s
    My last tankful, I was hauling a trailer with a full ton of firewood for about half the tank and I got 8.56 mpg. The tank before that was almost completely unloaded and it got just over 9 mpg. :rolleyes:
    It's running WAY rich, though. Massive amount of black soot at the tailpipes. I have another carb for it, I just have to get around to putting it on. It's not my DD, so it's not high priority.
    My DD Mazda gets 28-30 mpg. :woot:

The speedo is pretty close to accurate. When I had the 3.42 axles, the mileage factor was .79 (7.9 miles clocked for an actual distance of 10 miles) but now it seems to be about right, judging by all the other traffic around me. I haven't had a chance to clock it off on the freeway with the new axles yet.

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had my speedo recalibrated by a guy in Grand Prairie that did certified work for about 40 years. He made a small gearbox that goes into the stock mechanical location. My speedo is spot on.

My tranny a well built 700R.

As for OK...I (and my wife) have stopped to eat several times mostly in McAlester. Carl's Jr is prolly the filthiest place I've ever seen open for business. The restaurants are consistently dirty and the service is nonexistent. Everybody...Runs into restaurants. It is Bizarre! They Run at gas stations. It's honestly like twilight zone. I thought there were more tweakers in Ark and Mo. It seems like everybody is on something. I've been a lot of places, and I don't think I've ever seen so many trailer trash types in one place.........and I spend quite a bit of time fishing Arkansas. My experience along that stretch of road is that it must be the sh!thole of OK. Eufala is beautiful...and if it wasn't for my experience with the rest of the area, I'd prolly spend time up there trying to put a few fish in the boat. As it is, I'd rather pass thru on my way to Dardenelle, White River, Little Red, Greers' Ferry, etc. I trout fish the White about 4 times a year.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yes, SE OK is the pisshole of the state.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just had to make sure about your speedo calibration. I too had mine recalibrated after my tire and gear change. I've seen too many times people trying to post gas mileage reports but haven't had a speedo recalibration done after their tire or gear swap. Then they start saying well i know what the actual mileage is from point A to point B.