Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Road trip story

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by clarkjw24, Feb 17, 2007.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Those that know me, know that everytime I take a trip I have something happen to me. Today was no different.
    Today I went to Greenville SC to deliver a 14ff to guy from TN. That part went well, I was actually on time and the exchange went smooth. So I was on my way back home, to McBee and needed to stop at a rest area off of I385. I had a friend of mine to go with me, he likes to talk and I just like the noise. Anyway we stop at the rest area to do some bladder maintance and we're walking back to the truck. When we get to the truck an older gentleman opens his truck down and starts asking us questions. I couldn't really hear him so we walked closer. He begins to ask us where we are from and where we are going. By this time I see that he is tired and wery. Also, he is disabled, missing an arm. He proceeds to say "I really hate to ask you, but would one of you drive me on into columbia, I've had no sleep and I really don't have time to stop to rest. Could one of you drive me while I catch a few minutes of rest". I had no problem with this as, I'm one to help anyone I can. I ask my friend if he minded driving the gentleman's truck and I'll let him sleep in mine. The man is obviously in need because I'm really not a friendly looking person and my friend looks like satan, with his long black hair. God only knows why he would ask us, but anyway he did, and I admire that. The gentleman is a fast talker and with every word he's trying to insure us that he's a good guy and really just needs a rest. As he's getting his stuff out of the truck I notice his military baggage. He's a motivational speaker he says and a vietnam vet who was shot 7 times, lost his arm, an eye, and was told he'd never walk again. He's traveled the world and is building rehibilition home for wounded serviceman. I wished I'd had more time to talk with him but I just let him sleep on the short ride into Columbia.
    When I got home I did a little searching, and came up with this. Turns out we helped out a true american hero today.
    http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/Public%20Affairs%20Info/Archive%20News%20Pages/2006/061122-vet.html
    http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/903CACC00AD7D44E8525722D007E1192?opendocument

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Good job. :bow:

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Right on! :waytogo:

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Karma man. That was a good thing that you did. It comes back around.

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Cool deal. Might make up for all of the blown trailer tires. :D

6. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

That is awesome man. Most people prolly would have blown the guy off.

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

John does so many nice things for everyone....his karma is bound to win him the lottery or something.:D
    -Harrison