Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

road trip time... on a mission for tube!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Jul 30, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A couple of years back a buddy over on the Snort board, Joe, offered to do a group buy on tube for people. He can get tube at-cost from time to time and he hooks up fellow wheelers. That deal never panned out for me, but Joe offered again more recently and I dove on the oppotunity. I wanted enough tube for my K5 that I wouldn't have to go out and buy any more so I ordered 300' of 1.75" x 0.120 wall DOM. Bling! Anyway, I sent him the $ and he eventually got the tube. Problem was, I didn't have a trailer for my tow rig (yet!) so I had to find someone willing to transport the stuff for me. The tube was in Kirkland (about 180 miles north of me). Turns out, no one was interested... even for gas money. doh!

Anyway, at some point I had to get the junk down here. I want to build my cage this summer so I can do other stuff during the winter phase of my build inside (trans / tcase rebuilds etc). Enter Shane74 of Black Widow Perf fame. He has a 1 ton Ford and could borrow a trailer from a friend. Not only was Shane willing to help, but he was willing to get up hellla early in the morning so that our long trip wouldn't **** up the rest of the weekend. So... after getting off work / going to sleep around 12:30am.... my alarm wakes me up at 3:30am and the adventure begins!

First, this is what I look like with 3 hours of sleep. Light, baaaaaaaad...

[​IMG]

Next thing I had to do was get Jeremy's (55willy) tires out so he could pick them up. He has been trying to get up here for a while to get them, and to drop off some toys for me, but hasn't been able to arrange it until this weekend. For some reason, the Gods ordained that everything was going to happen this saturday I guess. lol! Anyway, I rolled them out these just in case he showed up while I was gone...

[​IMG]

With the tires out, I grabbed my backpack full of water/camera/maps/random travel stuff and wait for shane to arrive. The only thing I could take a pic of was our big street light, so I did. lol!

[​IMG]

Around 4:15 or so, shane arrives and we're off! Somewhere between Vancouver and Olypia, there is a guy who has built his own series of steel monuments. I think they are pretty cool...

[​IMG]

...you can also see some cool mountains on the way. AFAIK this is Rainier. Crappy azz pic of a cool mountian...

[​IMG]

After driving not quite 3 hours, we arrive at Joe's pad! I hopped out and snapped a quick pick of shanes rig... I woulda done it when he picked me up, but it was pitch black. lol!

[​IMG]

shane backed up his trailer, we loaded the tube up and strapped 'er down. Shane did a heck of a job strapping... that tube didn't move a bit the whole trip.

[​IMG]

After we got that knocked out, it was time to look at trucks. lol! He had a decent-looking heep out front...

[​IMG]

turns out it was a buddies... and the guy had paid some clown like $4k to do some work on it and the guy was a total ass clown and screwed Joe's buddy over. Pretty lame crap and it was cool that Joe was helping the get fix the damage.

[​IMG]

The coolest thing to see on this trip though was Joe's buggy. This thing is completely bad ass. 2 years and 200+ feet of tube in the making.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pretty much every bling part you can imagine is on this thing. Full hydro from station... rockcrusher D60 HP front... 44s... Dedenbear bling... BTF arms... bling coil overs... 0.500" wall lower links... Evolution rod ends yada yada. It was totally bad ass. I've never actually got to see a buggy this cool up close and in person. Pretty much all he has left to do is wiring and its ready to rock. Can't wait to see this thing on the trail! We could tell, just talking with the guy for 15 mins, that he was pretty damn cool and would be a good wheelin' buddy. Hopefully I'll get the chance to do some rocks with this dude some day. Anyway, my wife wanted to do some stuff together (woohoo!) saturday so we said "later!" to Joe headed back down south.

A Mickey-D's + gas stop later, we were back at home in The 'Couve. Woohoo! The tube has arrived!

[​IMG]

monday morning I'll be setting the bender up and firing up BendTech Ez 3D! :grin: :thumb:

j

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Fun.:D

3. jekbrown

I see how you guys are... prolly just jealous that I have a bunch of tube now. lol! ;) :grin: :thumb:

j

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

thanks again for stashing the tires for me. Funny that I sold em before I even got em here. My brother is building another blazer and it's gonna be on the cheap this time. In fact his S/N here is cheapk5.

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

So what was the cost of the tube? Other than the obvious cage what else do You plan to fab up with it?

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a good way to spend a morning. I would love to have enough steel around and not have to go to the shop everytime I ned to do something.

7. jekbrown

all that tube is for my K5. Im a bending noob... my guess is I'll "use" it all. Besides, I love the jungle gym look. No one will ever look at my cage and say "you need more triangulation!!!". ;)

j

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

We made hella good time man! That was by far the easiest road trip this year! Usually it's to go get a rig that doesn't run. I look forward to seeing what you create w/all that tube! :thumb:

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I dig those kind of road trips where all turns out great. cool beans on the tube. pics ofcourse of progress.

10. jekbrown

yeppers... there will definitely be a build up thread with lots of pics. can't wait to get started. :thumb:

j