Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Road trippin with the kids AKA Lost in Harlem

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stickseler, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

So the wife decided to goto Charlotte for the weekend for a baby shower and I take Friday and Monday off to watch the kids. We decided I would take them to the Nationals @ the Phillies in Philly on Saturday, then my boss tels me he has tickets he cant use to see the Yankees in NYC on Friday and he can't go, so he gives them to me....($ 90 ea club box seats...5 rows from third base :pimp: ). It takes 4-5 hours to get there so were going to leave around 9 and be there @ 2 or so figuring we should avoid traffic. Then comes the rain up the east coast so we back up departure time till non so I'm not driving all the way in the rain. After getting stuck in Baltimore and on the Jersey Turn-Pike we get to Yankee stadium @ 6:45.

The game started at 7:30 because of the rain and it drizzled pretty good until the 3rd inning then it cleared up and became a nice game which ended around 10:30 so we head back to the car and for some reason everything inside and out was blocked off behind home plate and we had to walk all the way around the stadium back to the gate near 1st where we parked.

We then proceeded to leave the parking lot and get totaly lost because the cops are sending us this way and that and I didn't have a clue where I needed to be.

We crossed into Harlem around 11:15 and drove around for a while with me visualizing all the movies Ive seen with people lost there and wondering if my truck (and kids) would survive the night. After about 15 minutes or so I remember I have a GPS under the seat and set it up and the sat coverage sucks but right as I recognize a street name it tells me to turn. So we head down Madison Ave to Manhattan and across the Lincoln tunnel and back to Jersey and home. This time with no traffic it took me 3 hr 45 min from the Lincoln tunnel to DC and I think I got a camera ticket for speeding In DC when I was cutting through a neighborhood.

Overall the trip was a success...We got to see Yankee Stadium, he Lincoln tunnel, Central Park I think and the Empire State Building. I wish Id know I coudl of driven a little further and seen the Statue of Liberty but we got a killer pic of the NY Skyline.

I guess well have to go up for a weekend and tour the City. :laugh:

Sorry bout the long story but I did this trip with a 8 & 10 year old which slept most the way home and woke up when we got home @ 4 and havent gone to sleep yet, atleast they let me catch a few hours.

2. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Oh dear god! Lost in Harlem is not something you want to be! Back in my less than intelligent days in high school we used to go there for "things". Had many close calls. Glad you guys enjoyes yourselves and made it out ok! NYC has alot of cool things to see. I have always enjoyed the USS Intrepid and South Street Seaport. Central Park is always very nice. And the Museam of Natural History. When you come back, that is the place to go. But plan on a whole day for it.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

When I was in high school the family visited New York (big deal when ya live in Arizona). We were drivin around and Dad made a wrong turn and we ended up in Harlem. I thought my Mom was gonna lose it. Dad literally could not turn the car around fast enough.

Didn't bother me so much but Mom seemed to have a problem with it. :haha:

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Good stuff! :D :D

Now replace your children with a paying customer in the back of the car, make it 4PM on a Friday in the summer, and you have my first driving experience in NYC... :doah:

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Could've been worse... You could've broken down in Harlem!

BTW, Did you see the world famous Apollo? :rotfl: :rotfl: