Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ROAD VIBRATION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KATHY, Aug 25, 2001.

1. KATHY

KATHY Registered Member

HAVE A 79 K5 4X4 WITH 38" TIRES - WENT SLIGHTLY AIRBORNE IN THIS VEHICLE ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO AND NOW I HAVE VIBRATION WHENEVER I EXCEED 45 MPH - HAVE CHANGED THE FOLLOWING : NEW RIMS - NEW TIRES (BALANCED TWICE ) - NEW LEAF SPRINGS - PUT ON DUAL STEERING SHOCKS - HAVE HAD FRAME CHECKED - NEW ALIGNMENT WITH EACH NEW INSTALLATION OF PARTS - HAVE CHECKED ALL STANDARD THINGS - BALL JOINTS - TIE RODS - WHEEL BEARINGS - ETC... STILL HAVE VIBRATION - SOME IMPROVEMENT WAS MADE WITH LEAF SPRINGS BUT NOT ENOUGH - WHAT AM I MISSING??? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !!

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Welcome to CK5 Kathy
    U-Joints and drive shaft? That's what usualy cause vibes like that.I had a front CV going bad that had the same symptoms. $12 fix if your truck is still full time.
    Also put the rear end up on jack stands (if it's part time converted) and put it in gear and let it idle and watch the rear wheels. See if they woble indicating bent axle shafts. DO NOT try to put it in park either put it in Neutral when you done looking or turn off the engine and let it stop on it's own.

Tip. Typing in caps is known as "screaming". Denotes anger and hostility in the cyber world. It's also hard to read.
    Click the Caps lock button with that left pinky.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

3. KATHY

KATHY Registered Member

SORRY - FORGOT TO SAY THAT I HAVE PURCHASED NEW REAR AXLES - HAD THE REAR END HOUSING CHECKED - THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY AND MAKING ME POOR!! THE LOCAL 4 X 4 PLACE IS NO HELP AT ALL

4. KATHY

KATHY Registered Member

sorry about the CAPS - just wasn't paying attention - :)

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If it's Full time check the front CV. If either joint in the CV is bad it will give the samy symptoms. You cannot check it in the truck you have to pull the drive shaft and inspect it where you can really see what's happening when it bends.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Kathy,
    What kind of vibration is it. Does it get worse as you go faster? Does it get less or worse when you stop accelerating and coast? How bad is the vibration. Does it buzz or does it feel like something is going to break? Have you had someone follow you in another vehicle when the vibration is happening to look at the wheels and the axles individually? There could be problems with front wheel bearings/hubs, I didn't notice if you have had them serviced. Sounds like a VERY frustrating problem. How much air did you get? Any unexpected noises when you landed?
    Mark

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

7. KATHY

KATHY Registered Member

talked with my technician about the drive shaft (possible problem) said that he had shaft checked with new ujoints installed. If you are following the blazer in another vehicle it looks like the front end is shifting while it is going down the road. I can't drive it more than 45 mph, it feels like it is going to vibrate me right off the road. It 'feels' like it is in the front end but can't imagine what else there could be wrong. The vibration that I feel isn't as bad whenever I have the 33" tires reinstalled but it is still there, just comes into play at a higher rate of speed. I have even suspected that the frame is twisted but everyone that has looked at it says no. When I actually went airborne it was only about three feet or so of air. I didn't hear anything snap, crackle or pop. But of course the vibration didn't start until my trip back. In town you will not notice it. Actual I have had wheel bearings checked. They say that they are good.

8. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Whoever is getting under there to check stuff has to be REALLY interested in fixing the truck (or in keeping you safe). These trucks can/will break their frames. If there is grease or oil it could cover a crack or cracks at cross members, spring hangers, body mounting areas, etc. Someone needs to get dirty and with rags and degreaser/carb cleaner clean suspect areas. Maybe have underneath cleaned with steam/pressure. Good luck. Make sure you let us know whenever you solve this.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

9. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Southern Indiana? Where? Nallbany? Jeff? Clarksville? What "local" 4x4 shop are you talking to?

behemoth K5
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You have the same problem a 94 Ford F150 Lightning in my shop has. We have yet to figure ouy what is causing it. Between 40 and 50 mph it shakes so bad you think its trying to throw you out of it. The wheels also shift back and forth rapidly. It is a friend of mines, so I have to figure it out. Ive been trying for a week and still no luck. I will let you know when I find out what is wrong with his.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs locked front.Other cars 69 Firebird w/525 hp,and 70 GTO <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>MY vehicles</a>

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I had a 93 Lightning that would do that, especially on the freeway (worst on I-17 for some reason) It turned out to be a combination of bad I-beam bushings, and the track arm brackets were seriously wallered out, causing the caster to jump a few degrees as it drove.

If the shoe fits, get another one just like it
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

12. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the toe-in? I had to drive over 40 miles (+/-) at 30 mph cause I knocked the front end so far out of whack it shook violently. Cost me $410 for the "least case scenario".

behemoth K5
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

13. KATHY

KATHY Registered Member

Well guys...after hours of frame cleaning, searching for cracks, twists, etc....after $$ and days of changing and rechanging things and things remaining the same or a little bit better I think that I have solved it. It must of apparently been a number of things. After changing the leaf springs, the ride was so much better but still had a larger than normal vibration at about 60 mph. We finally put the $#%&amp; thing on the lift and ran it in both two and four wheel. You could almost see that one of the new tires was out of round. They have less than 150 miles on them because I took them off until I could get all of the vibration out of it. So I had someone recheck and rebalance them while they were on the vehicle. A little costly but the improvement is tremendous. I still have a little vibration at about 70mph but that may be because as I was getting on the I-65 one of the weights flew off. They are going to replace that tomorrow. :) Guess I can call it fixed , either that or I drive it into the Ohio River . Thanks for all the help out there. I really appreciate it.......... :)