Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

road wh0re!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Mar 11, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

well i have ballanced the check book, and have come to the conclusion i cant afford cross over steering.

What my question is, how can i take the road wonder out of my blazer. I Have a new rancho stabilizer, ball joins, and front end seem in good shape. Is there anything i can do to tighten up the front end a lil bit?

I also feel that my steering column, well actually seems like just the steering in general is loose. What can i do to check, or what could be wrong, or loose in it?

I have a 74 chevy that is 2 wheel and the steering on it seems really solid, and smooth.

I know my 4 wheel drive istn going to be as smooth, but it just seems there is slack in it, what wil it take to fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you might have slack in the steering box. Move the steering wheel back and forth and see if the pitman arm moves in conjunction with the steering input.

Mike

3. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

do you have angle shims in the front? if you do you can take them out for more caster

4. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

i dont know what angle shims are

adding to my top post, how much does it cost, and what do i need to

replace all the ball joints, and tie rods in my front end?
    are there high performance things i can buy for this overhauld? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

By loose do you mean that there is a lot of wheel movement before it actually turns the wheel? There is a set screw type deal on the top of your steering box that adjusts the load on one of the gears (something like that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif). Well anywho if you screw it in it takes the slack out of the steering. My $.02.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Take a close look at your draglink. I had some wandering problems and new ball joints helped a little bit, but after noticing some play in my draglink ends I replaced them with some heavy duty Moog units. I can honestly say that my wandering issues virtually disappeared!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

they are smallwedges between your front axle and your front springs, they are used to help driveshaft angle but give you less caster, ie... a bicycle fork has alot of positive caster thus letting you cruz down the street without holding the bars, a back shopping cart wheel has neg caster, that's why when you push a shopping cart fast the wheels wobble so inturn taking caster out of the front will give you shakes or could make your blazer drift side to side , but I think its normal to have to steer your blazer straight, I do. I agree with the other poster though check your box first

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

same thing was going on w/ my truck..had bad drag link ends and my truck was really bad...it would wonder all over the place and you had to turn the wheel half a turn to get the wheels to do anything. replaced it and no wondering and it goes striaght as an arrow down the road! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif