Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roadmaster Active Suspension

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BPS, Aug 21, 2001.

1. BPS

BPS Registered Member

http://www.activesuspension.com
    Does anyone have any experience with this product?

I put a chalet type camper in my Blazer and drop about 5 inches on the rear springs and get lots of sway.
    I looked into overload springs but was told that this would make my normal ride very hard.
    This product was recommended as an alternative to overload springs and sway bar.

I currently am running the stock suspension on my '90 K5

Thanks

1991 K5

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Clickable:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.activesuspension.com>www.activesuspension.com</a>

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I'll throw my question in too... do they only go on the back? Reason I ask is that I want to add a winch and if it's too much for the front springs maybe this active suspension would mean that I wouldn't need to install HD springs (I don't want a rougher ride), or I maybe go even go to a softer spring than I have (5 leafs in front, 6 in back, brand unknown).

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    What is the GVW rating for your Blazer ?
    If you exseed this number, all the weak links will show up very fast!
    I have heard the rear leafs around that time may only have four leafs, and sag about a inch with no load.
    Throw a few hunderd # in the back, and they will sag even more, also will shift CG (Center of Gravity) and
    put more stress on the rear axle, and if its a 10 bolt, BINGO.
    Hope this helps ya

5. BPS

BPS Registered Member

I believe that ny GRWR is 6100 lbs. I have no sticker in the door and I got that figure from the net.
    With the camper on and loaded I'm running about 700lbs over GVWR.
    I just completed a 8,000 mile trip to the 4 corners area, used a lot of side roads as the vehicle swayed a lot at speeds over 65MPH.
    I have air bags but they do not solve the problem.
    As well, driving on gravel, washboard or any rough terrain could only be done at 10mph or less. I learned to hate road construction.
    So I need to decrease the sag and reduce the sway when the camper is on (4-5 weeks a year) but not adversly affect my ride for the rest of the time.

Any suggestions?

1990 K5 with chalet type camper
    4 inch lift, 33x12.5 tires