Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RobZilla is the MAN!!!!! and some advice as to carrying spares....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FWP, Mar 3, 2002.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Saved my ars today, with a complete U-joint spare for me. My rear driveshaft started squeeking last night, after running Upper Woodpecker with the guys. On the way home, I stopped to check it again, and the caps were smokin hot, and blued. Pulled the driveshaft out on the side of the hiway, and the needle bearings fell out in pieces. I only carry bits and pieces, not a whole U-joint. From now on I'll carry 2 brand new spares. He also saved the day with some hardware for Marv's steering shaft. That's another must bring item- good mix of nuts/bolts. Just wanted to post a BIG HUGE THANK YOU! to Mr. Rob- You rock dude!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif!

2. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Fred,

Thanks, nothing you would not have done for me if I were in the same spot.

I have posted the some of the pictures of this weekend, but not all yet, I have over 60MB of photos. I have posted just some for now, have to figure where to post the rest too.

Once again, thanks for a great weekend, and Joey and I had a blast.

Glad you got back safely, sorry to hear you had to chage u joints roadside.

Thanks,
    Rob

PS: Here is the link for the pictues.

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.msn.com/myfiles/folderview.aspx?Folder=*EtEZjHm6crh8ZPLO5Cs!rsTfa9B76MKqYXnhJwfzoQ%24>http://photos.msn.com/myfiles/folderview.aspx?Folder=*EtEZjHm6crh8ZPLO5Cs!rsTfa9B76MKqYXnhJwfzoQ%24</a>

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I agree....!

Robzilla saves me every time we go out...! He's got nuts, bolts, tools, 'lectricity, air, drinks, food..... and I'm sure there's more sh!t in the back of that Blazer that I've never seen!

Hats off to ya, Rob.... You're the most "prepared" guy I've wheeled with!

Marv

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I posted this in another thread this morning, but it's good advice here too. Be sure to grease those new spare u-joints before you toss them in the console, toolbox, etc. They usually come with just enough grease to keep them from rusting. Grease 'em up at home, then they'll be ready for install on the trail. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

yeah, I started carrying spare U-joints when my friend needed a tranny rebuild cause he cracked the casing from drive line vibration after the u-joint was worn.

Autozone.. lifetime warranty!!! I switch em every year. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Good point Harry, I realized I didn't have any grease with me. Oops. So I filled em full of gear lube/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.....

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i do agree fred. rob did save the day. i only saw once, but twice is twice as good. when my blazer was together i have as much junk/parts/tools/toys in the back as rob normaly does.
    just glad you all made it home safe and sound.

it was nice meeting you all. i will be up and running in about 2 months. if all goes well. anybody got a TH350 for me?
    then i could be running in about a week or two. just throw it all together and go.

hope to see you all again on the trail and at meetings.
    Grant

8. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

Yup, he helped me out too... Power wire for my electric fan rubbed through the insulation rubbing on the firewall... only non-fused circut in the truck (go figure)
    Rob had me a roll of electrical tape almost before I could follow him to the back of his Blazer.

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Um, yeah, but you can't grease them as well until they are installed.

10. HarryH3

Sure you can. Clamp it in a vise so that the vise is holding 2 of the caps on, then use a C-clamp to hold the other 2 caps in place. Grease away! Or, just rely on the little bit of grease that's in there and wonder why the joint failed on the drive home. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Or carry a grease gun on the trail and take a minute to lube it after you install it.

12. HarryH3

Grease guns are too messy for me. I don't even like having it in the garage! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

13. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Ok,

Get this, I thought that I had packed the grease gun in the back of the Blazer, after reading the posts, I remember that I did pack the grease gun, I have one of the small ones, I just forgot I packed it in the back of the tool boxes.

SORRY FRED, I should have greased the joint's before you left. What luck, I had the grease gun but just forgot it was back in the boxes.

Hell I carry so many extra parts, that I had to have Marv build my Springer spring with an extra leaf beacuse the back of the blazer saged so much. Oh well. Better to be safe than sorry.

As long as I am wheeling, I will carry the parts and stuff I have, and as long as you are on the same run as I am on, you are all welcome to the spares and or stuff that I carry. I can't see spending all the time we do getting ready for a ride and then have the whole weekend blown because I forgot to bring a spare part for something that I know will have the potential to go wrong.

The weekends than I spend wheeling are just too important too me to go bad because of lack of pre ride prep.

I am glad that I had what I takes to keep everyone safe and allow everyone to get home safe.

My motto, "If we all ride in together, we all ride out together, no one get's left behind".

Thanks,
    Rob