Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rochester 4 Barrell question- am I missin something?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, May 4, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

was messin with the carb today- amazing what a 1/2 can of carb cleaner will do to get things moving the way they are suppose to --- GOOD BYE WIRE TIE HOLDING THE CHOKE! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Now for a question- on the passenger side of the carb- theres a "lever" that will manually open the 4-barrells....at the bottom of this "lever" there is a hole- which looks like there is suppose to be either a spring or a rod there....I can't tell where it would go- or even if it's suppose to have something...I thought my 4 barrells ran via vacume...which makes me wonder if I am in deed missing something. My 4 barrells will kick in when you kick the throttle- with the hood open etc.. you can hear them, what a cool sound it makes.....(sorry small things amuse me ) I think they also work when I'm driving- but with the exhaust as loud as it is- you can't hear them inside the truck....

I sprayed a lot of cleaner around the intake gasket- to make sure it wasnt just that gasket suckin air- which it's not...

I've found a place to adjust it- I'm going to try that before we rip it apart....He's going to set the timing (not sure how since the timing tag is missing), and also adjust and tune the carb....I should know within 5 minutes of driving it if it works or if I still have to rip it down.

I will say- just having the choke working the way it's suppose to is a wonderful thing!

I cant remember who it is that has a wire tie like mine- someone in chat last week said they do too......spray the heck outta it- manually work the parts- it took about 5 minutes to get mine to do it's thing BUT mine works perfectly now........

Brandy

2. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

There's supposed to be a linkage on the passenger side of the carburetor that goes to the vacuum can for the choke. It keeps the secondaries from opening too soon so you don't experience "quadrabog". I don't run the linkage. More bullshit to go wrong.

I do all the adjusting with the spring for the air valve on the driver's side. The only downside of this is that it is theoretically possible to have the air valve opening when going down the highway with the stupid pedal nearing opening the secondary throttle valve.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I do all the adjusting with the spring for the air valve on the driver's side. The only downside of this is that it is theoretically possible to have the air valve opening when going down the highway with the stupid pedal nearing opening the secondary throttle valve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or that you will experience air valve "flutter" based on rapidly varying engine demands, as the cannister will provide a cushion (that is adjustable) on how fast the air valve is allowed to open. Flutter would mean that fuel supply to the engine from the secondaries (about 70% of WOT mixture supply) could cause problems.

Not all q-jets have the secondary air valve cannister, but many (most? maybe only later) are setup that way.

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There's supposed to be a linkage on the passenger side of the carburetor that goes to the vacuum can for the choke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got that one- I'm wondering about the one on the 4-barrell "lever" for lack of better wording........

[ QUOTE ]
    It keeps the secondaries from opening too soon so you don't experience "quadrabog

[/ QUOTE ]

and quadrabog would be????

thanks
    Brandy

5. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Quadrabog- Your truck falls on itself when you floor it. Makes a lot of noise, but no go. This is what mine does. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif