Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rochester accelerator pump shaft too short

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Apr 9, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok got a 77-79 style rochester 2 jet carb and the accel pump shaft is too short, its about 1/4" or so too short, its wierd, huge gap from top of shaft to bottom side of tip of the pump lever

what is the deal with that

thanks to the gap it doesnt pump jet shot fast enough and it starts to cut out when you try to accelerate under load and such cuz it cant richen fuel mix quick enough to let it accelerate without bogging out sometimes,

how could i fix this ?

i cant think of a way yet, hmm.,

arent all these pump levers the same ? sure looks identical to a Q jet one, etc.

thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

are you sure its not sticking? you will stick be able to push it down, there is a spring to let it compress after it is all the way down.

mine sticks and there is a 1/4" gap, but mine only does it when its warm. i also have the wrong accelerator pump in mine, its longer than the original., but still works. i just need to swap it out.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

naa it wont come up any higher, its up,

longer than the original ? what one is it ? for what carb ? sounds like what i need, need longer pump shaft,

hmm..

thanks

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

they are both 83 rodchester carbs, one off my k10, the other off my k20. the only difference in the entire carbs were the accerlator pumps and linkage. some how they got swapped when we rebuilt the carb.

the long one was on the k10 and the short one was on the k20.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

very interesting.,.

hmm

maybe i should go over to napa monday and look through their pumps for a longer one..
    if they have them separate ?

hum,..

thanks

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I can look it up for u

Get me a carb # and I'll look up the accelerator pump # for you--I have a Hygrade/Standard carb rebuld kit book that can cross refrence the # of the carb to all the internal parts...it could be the linkage might have gotten bent,or the accelerator pump was changed to the incorrect one during a previous rebuild... :crazy: