Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rochester Q jet experts: carb loads up too much, problem in top or bottom ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Nov 19, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if a Q jet loads up too much fuel while running then do you think problem would be in top part of carb or in bottom part of carb ?

i want to attempt to clan out carb and hopefully clear up loading up issue with it, its a non-ECM low emissions equipment 1983 manual trans 350ci truck carb number 17080213 if it matters.

i want to try and disassemble it without hurting gaskets and try to clean it out a little, if at all possible, i dont have enough to buy a basic kit for it but i have alot of gaskets and parts stashed, maybe i already have right gaskets, or at least the one in between air horn assembly and the fuel bowl assembly because thats the one that would most likely break/rip on me when i remove the air horn assembly

i think all this is the only thing keeping the truck from being a daily driver,
    everything else has been taken careof and/or checking out good now, i just have to finish up 4 core radiator swap, almost done with that now and so i can put grille and stuff back on after the fender painting i had to do, it was starting to rain the other evening wheni was painting, so i had to speed paint, :S

thanks for anything at all, maybe somoen knows of someone who would know what would be wrong with carb to cause loading up problem when running, it was causing raw fueltomake it to exhaust pipes and blow up in them and causing pipes and muffler to expand

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: rochester Q jet experts: carb loads up too much, problem in top or bott

When the float was maladjusted in my carb, it woudl spew fuel out the top, eventually stalling the engine.

Thats my only hands on experience with that problem.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Re: rochester Q jet experts: carb loads up too much, problem in top or bott

[ QUOTE ]
    When the float was maladjusted in my carb, it woudl spew fuel out the top, eventually stalling the engine.

Thats my only hands on experience with that problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah ive seen that happen before, thats never not very good at all, that can get you gas in carb andcylinders full of fuel

i wasnt having that problem with this one fortunately, i did mange to get it disassembled and the air horn gasket actually is in really nice shapeand inside of carb is clean like spotless so hummmmmm

outside of carb is nasty coated with yeasrs of oiland dirt and junk, so thats even wierder, but i cleaned out carb anyways real godo with stuff and comressed air and soaked the airhorn assembly in 5 gallons of carb acid over at garage, and well its all back together and i dont see any reason how or why it might run rich or bad at all

so wish me luck for in the AM when i put carb back on truck

thanks

Q jet are real easy to R&R
    i have ;like 20 parts carbs and tonsof extra unused gaskets and parts and stuff for carter and rochester Q jets from the late 60's through late 80s

so i guess if anyone needs anything then lemme know

4. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Fuel pressure can cause it to load up. get a regulator and set it to 3-4 psi. If your getting rid of parts carbs I could use a 7044213 and some jets and rods and such /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Fuel pressure can cause it to load up. get a regulator and set it to 3-4 psi. If your getting rid of parts carbs I could use a 7044213 and some jets and rods and such /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the odds of fuel presure being too high are pretty slim in this case because the fuel pump is stock and possibly original- is at least really old anyways. im thinking about replacing it cuz i dont know if it would keep going without ending up leaking internally from sitting dry for years not moving.

will see what i can find for that carb number around here. what number rods and jets you looking for ? primary or secondary ?

i also forgot to add that when i got carb disassembled i found that the secondary jet tubes had fallen out of the airhorn assembly and were laying in pockets of the fuel bowl casting assembly

would that maybe cause fuel over-richening problem ?

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

truck all better now! celebration time /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif woo hoo! soemthing went right for a change, yay!
    truck purrs quiet like stock original trucks do, really quiet smooth running and driving truck, i love it, i stole the truck for 200 bucks, even with rust that it has, 3/4ton 4x4 4 speed 350 all original and great running,
    i have yet to play with 4x4, id like to swap on manual hubs first though before trying

truck is now officially a daily driver /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanks to everyone who helped /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

looked around and i do have a few carbs in the 704 series with close numbers to- but not 4213

ill see if some of the ppl or repair shops around here i know personally might have one around maybe, never know

thanks

8. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

what numbrs you have? I just picked up a used edelbrock and looks like I'm ok for a while but I can use some 72-76 jets and 39-42 rods if you have some to spare. just tell me what you have and what you want for