Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rochester Quad ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bdkmiller, Sep 13, 2002.

1. bdkmiller

bdkmiller Registered Member

I just got a Rochester Quadrajet from an early 80's Chevy truck. The current carb I have on my '72 K5 is not doing so well. Would the newer carb work ok or is it designed to work with more emissions restrictions.
    Thanks in advance,
    Brian

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't know much about the newer carbs but I think the big difference is the choke. Our early models are very easy to rebuild you may just need to soak it and swap in new gaskets + adjust the float and your good to go! My old one would always 'swet' gas all over the place, even with new gaskets, so I ended up getting Edlebrock 1901 Q-jet. GREAT carb right out of the box. Kinda pricy but I have been running this carb sence 94ish and it has held up GREAT! I have only rebuilt it once and that was at the begining of this year adn all that time i never had any issues with it!
    Don't mean to sound like a comercial just like the way it has treated me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Good Luck

3. bdkmiller

I did rebuild it & it runs fine, but like you said it sweats gas all over. Didn't like that too much. But the real problem is that the choke linkages are all rusted, beyond repair as far as I can tell. If I was rolling in $$ I would get the Edelbrock replacement, but for now I want something more affordable. Maybe one day.
    Thanks for the quick reply,
    Brian

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Check e-Bay....

Also get the Q-Jet decoder...you'll be able to tell from the casting numbers what year they came out of...there are two distinct styles of Q-Jet (I think the cutover was around 1976) and the jets and stuff are NOT interchangeable!!

You could then start looking for a rebuildable core on e-Bay or wherever, and prolly end up with a good running Q-Jet for less than $100 including the rebuild kit....
    /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

"Rochester Carburetors" by Doug Roe is required reading also....especially if you are going to refurbish one. Check Amazon.com, I think you can get it for around $15. Money well spent....

5. bdkmiller

Thanks Greg,

I did get the decoder & read Doug Roes book. MY old carb is from a '73 truck & the new one is from an '80-83. I did no tknow that the parts would not be interchangable. Well, at least I got an extra core & it didn't cost much. I'll check e-bay.
    Thanks again,
    Brian