Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rock Buggy/Suburban/Turmoil grinding my life to a halt... HEEEELLLP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ddragggon, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

ok, here's the deal, I want to build a massive truck.... I already own several ( yes several ) massive trucks...

the assortment includes:
    1977 C20 suburban 454/400 with a 308 14BFF in the rear*(I think its a 308... its the only way I think I can manage to drive at 65 on the freeway, with an automatic, and only be turning at 2100 RPM)
    1973 K20 suburban 350/350/NP205 D44/14BFF 3.73's or 4.10's....
    1973 C10 Suburban 454/400 `parts truck ( tranny is currently in the 77 as a replacement, and the old one from that is in the back seat)

I am going to be picking up a 77 body from Bluesman on saturday, and an 81 K20 frame.... since body and frame = HEAVY, I've been looking to purchase some axles to put under it to make moving it at least semi bearable.... in my search, I've found AZ to be COMPLETELY out of 3/4 ton running gear, or at least thats how all junkers I've been to have made it seem, and what gear they do have, they want A LOT for... 500 for a used, probably broken 14BFF? 650 for a @#%&ing D44??

so, I found a guy who's got some axles under an 85 pickup rolling chassis.... 700 for the axles, or 1200 for the chassis, which includes a T400, and NP205 tranny, no engine. I have an engine (454 from the 73) that could go well on this, and a body I could cut up, and make an impressive suburban based rock crawler out of... ( think project Money pit, only with more seats, and a longer wheel base...) or, I can do what my initial idea was which is just buy the axles for 700, and build a 19xx suburban that would be the most Awesome vehicle evar/purdey tow rig, then turn the 73 K20 into a rock crawler type thing ( its got rust spots on the exterior body pannels anyway...)

any ideas/suggestions? GAHHH

and no, I won't just give all my parts away to prevent my brain from exploding....

-Rich

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Get the whole works. 454/400/205 is my dream combo for my Burb. Bought a donor 3/4 to PU this last winter with a 454. I have a 400/203 combo found that is just itching to be a doubler. I keep thinking of doing a full convertable sub with a full cage, and alter the wheelbase &/or bob the @$$ end for a better departure angle. Make the Gonzo Crawler out of the old girl!

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Yeah I got an idea for ya!!! Get this 'Burb body and frame from me!!!! hEY JUST KIDDING.If you don't take it..I'll make a monster out of it!454 big block,Sm465 4 speed manual trans,3/4 ton diffs w/ 4.56's, on 40" tires.NO top,tailgate,half doors and bobbed bed! Come on Rich...GEt busy on this monster!!!

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'm tryin' man... I'm hoping to locate some axles so its easier to move that beast of a chunk of iron and steel... sofar, thats not going too well tho, with my last attempt failing Miserably... I bid on Ebay for a 75 K30 with 1 tons under it... the auctioneers had to cancel it because fo a family emergency, and unfortunately canceled it right after someone outbid me by 10 bucks.... if they hadn't come along, I would have had 1 tons, and a spare 700r4/205 ( or 208, not sure) to bargain for the stuff I really wanted...

I'll give you a call tomorrow/later today, and whatnot. I have a line on 3/4 ton differentials from a source I don't want to reveal, since no one in the phoenix area seems to have any 3/4 ton+ running gear.... heck, I've found it pretty hard to find even 1/2 ton axles that arent broken beyond use.

Later,.
    -Rich

5. come to oregon, my friend. i have you 3/4 ton axle still sitting under my cancer ridden sub. i plan to yank them this weekend. i have the hunk o junk listed in the local paper for parts but haven't gotten any bites on the axles yet. i know, long haul for you just for that, but you'd get a good deal for sure.

6. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I guess yesterday was a no-go?You need to call me.....cause at this point if you don't get it.....we are going to keep it!I need it out of my brother's front yard,So once it goes in the backyard it will end up as a project.Mike