Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rock Crawlin'

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MontanaLifted, Sep 10, 2002.

1. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

Rock Crawlin\'

What is 'the' most ideal lift and tires for a rock crawlin' old Chevy full size pick-up. (with the 8ft bed in mind)

I enjoy muddin' and trailin' but I think it's time to take it up a notch. I know if I go out there -as is- I won't make it very far.

2. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Rock Crawlin\'

Mine is lifted 6" with 35" tires. Works pretty well. I
    drag the rocker panels alot. I am going with 7" lift and
    38" SX's soon. I am getting tired of hitting the diff's
    all the time. Whatever lift and tires make sure they are
    flexy springs, the softer the better when your truck is that long. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

a good inexpensive lift imo is the 4 inch rough country. you can get the lift out of any 4x4 mag. i have a buddy with a six incher and he runs 38 or 39 i cant remember, that works very well for him. but no matter what you put on it it will be bad a$$!!!!!

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

4" BDS or TC-EZs in front, Shackle flip in the rear. If you've got 52s in back, check out Marv's Springer setup for some 57" F150 springs and awesome flex. Or, check out Rene's (tRusty) new 57" F150 spring article (coming soon) with a more traditional flip. BorregoK5 makes a unique shackle flip that gives around 5.5" of lift on stock GM springs or 57" F150s and ORD makes one that gives either 2" or 4" using stock GM springs.

Then do everything you can to clean up the bottom to reduce the problems with high centering. I *DO NOT* like allot of lift. It gets tippy and WAY too stiff. You can go 6" without getting too bad, and you can get the back to 6" easily without buying lift springs with either Marv's or Borrego's shackle flip kits. Even with a long bed, there is no way I would go over 6", I would rather deal with break-over problems. As for fitting bigger tires, with a little work you can go as far as 42s on a 4" lift...

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Oh, as long as you don't mind shortening the life of your front springs (get a good warranty like BDS, swap with no questions) you can get a 6" spring and remove a leaf to get 4" total lift with a better shackle angle (due to the arched spring flattening out 2")...

6. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

I've got 4" of suspension lift now and I'm running a 33" tire. 285/75/16 measures a 33", basically a 33"x8".

I just don't want to waste my money next spring. If I'm gonna spend $200+ per tire I wanna make sure I won't grow out of it too soon.
    From what I've been hearing a 35" or 38" is good for 'crawlin'.Right?

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I'm running 6" lift springs front and rear. I've done some custom bracketry that bumps that up to about 8" overall. That sounds high, but my truck used to be 2WD coil sprung so the frame is shaped funny, requiring some custom brackets and spring hangers. I'm running 2" blocks in the back to level it out. Anyways, front springs are old Pro Comp and they've become pretty flexy since I've had them. They're combined with ORD HD shackles. Rear springs are Tough Country and they're real flexy. I also have an ORD shackle flip in the rear.(So I actually have 12" of lift out back because I'm using 2WD spring hangers) I know this setup sounds unusual, but the truck sits pretty level and the suspension has about 12" of travel front and back. I'm running 39.5" TSLs. I have a longbed, too, so I made a rear bumper that tucks up tight with my tailgate to help with departure angles. I don't do a whole lot of rocks, but what little I've done has worked out pretty well.

Will

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If this is a trail only rig or a daily that doesnt haul too much, you could shorten the bed and frame to about 18" shorter than stock or take the bed off and cut the frame to the spring hangers and build some kind of freaky bed like I did. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif