Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ROCK guys i need some help!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikeitloud, Mar 15, 2005.

1. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

memorial weekend is goin to be the next time i go wheelin so im scramblin to get my rig ready for it. this year though i would love to tackle the rocks. everytime we go to dresser every1 in my group wil bypass the rocks but i wanna drive through them. im tryin to set my rig up more for tackling the rock sections and i would love some feedback as to what i should do to "prepare" for them. I was thinking some dif guards for the front and rear. obvioulsy lockers for front and rear. i have 42in tires on right now with 410 gearing but unfortunatly(sp) i wont be able to afford new gears before i go out wheelin. im goin cross-over/hydro-assist as well.Ive never ventured into the rocks myself so if ya guys have any other tips on what to do in the rocks or any other ways to "rock-proof" the rig it would be greatly appreciated,

thanks matt

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

sliders are a must.... good flex.. let see, what else... lol those are good starters

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yea I say flex and just knowing your rig and its tipping points and such. another tip is to go very easy on the throttle, I like to push on the brake and push the gas some then let off the brake very easy, this will alow you to have more control over where you go. With 42's you will ge good as far as ground clearance, just watch your tie-rod and such.
    One hting that you might do to get some extra traction is to groove your tires. Just a thought :)

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Sliders, armor, and be ready for impact. The first time you crawl you will think there are hooks under your rig.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For the rocks you need lockers, gears, and armor. You do not need alot of crazy flex to rock crawl. It can be nice to have but you don't have to have it. It can definitly hurt you sometimes also.

Harley

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm, I would say a upgraded tie rod and definetly have some sort of T-case protection. I only have 35's so I tend to smack the x member a lot on break over obstacles. With 42's you shouldn't have too many problems. Make sure you always have a good spotter as they can see things you can't obviously.....this can make or break whether or not you can clear an obstacle. Oh ya, and have little regard to body damage:grin:

7. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

if you running a carb....it needs to be a q-jet....the others suck off camber...

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Good call on that one, I had an edlebrock for a while and it would stall on some scary obstacles which would cause me to lose braking and steering assist. Not a good mix when you are climbing stuff like this
    [​IMG]

I went to a Q-jet and haven't had any problems since!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

yep, beefy diff covers, gas tank skidplate, sliders..

Spare axles and driveshafts? :grin:

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Lockers for sure and other than that just do it!

After a run or two you'll know what you need for the rocks in your area. :waytogo:

11. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

thanks for the tips guys!!!!!!!!! im lookin forward to hittin the rocks:D

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1) everything under the rig needs to be armored. If you can lay down on the ground and look up and see it, assume that at some point a huge pointy rock will hit it. Skid plate accordingly, especially diff covers, tcases, gas tanks etc.

2) armor yourself with a cage, a good quality seat and a harness. If you're doing really narly stuff, get a cheap skater's helmet to protect your noggin just in case.

3) gears. I have 4.56s with a 205 and a 700R4. In 1st gear my crawl ratio isn't low enough for rocks. I can drive them, but its like: jerk forward..brake..jerk forward...brake, repeat. I plan on going 5.13s and a doubler. Low gears don't just give you mo' torque at the wheels, the real benefit is the control they give you by slowing the rig down at normal operating RPMs.

4) steering. big tires will get stuck in between rocks... you need hydro assist or full hydro to make sure you can actually turn. Also, your steering linkage needs to be beefy enough to take hits from big rocks. Steering arms from WFO will let you relocate your tie rod behind/above the axle, that would help.

there is other stuff... but thats prolly the most important 4.

j