Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rock lights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blueblaze, Aug 9, 2004.

1. blueblaze

blueblaze 1/2 ton status

Where do you think the best place is?

How many good?

Finally where's your's/pics?

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeh I wanna know the same things....Im thinking just on the framerails so they point at the tires. Ive heard NAPA tractor lights work well...

3. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

I remember seeing someone who had one of those neon underbody kits that those crazy lil' ricers love so much as rock lights. It looked pretty cool on a big burly offroad truck, but i can't for the life of me remember where or who? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Just a thought. but actually i think they're rather expensive /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif so the tractor lights are probably your best bet.

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. blueblaze

blueblaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I remember seeing someone who had one of those neon underbody kits that those crazy lil' ricers love so much as rock lights. It looked pretty cool on a big burly offroad truck, but i can't for the life of me remember where or who? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Just a thought. but actually i think they're rather expensive /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif so the tractor lights are probably your best bet.

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought about that... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

think I will stick with the tractor light there allot cheaper...

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I saw them in Petersons last month...

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

neon lights saw these in this month's petersons. there very expensive though. but you probably better off buying those ones from napa.

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I have mine along the walkway leading up to my door about every 10 ft or so. Here are the ones I have.
    [​IMG]

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have mine along the walkway leading up to my door about every 10 ft or so. Here are the ones I have.
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. blueblaze

blueblaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice dude...

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've got 4 or 5 cheapo lights that I was going to put on for BB04. I was just planning on mounting them on the frame behind or in the the general area of the tires. Maybe one up front in the middle.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

POSER! those aren't real rocks! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    Here is where mounted mine, just behind the front tires on the frame. They are made for fog lights but They work well. Get the tractor lights from Napa. You should be able to do your front and rear for less than $40.

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running 4 tractor lights I picked up at Napa. They are rubber armored and cheap. $10 each.

I have 2 in the front 2 in the back. The ones in the back are bolted in the rear fenderwells. They are pointing down and back onto the tires.

The fronts are a little different. One is facing down and forward (drivers side) and the other is facing down and back (pass. side) They are bolted threw holes that were already in the frame so I didn't have to drill new holes. They have worked well in the 2 runs I have used them for.

The tractor lights from Napa are by far the best thing I have found for the money as of yet. They are a midrange bulb. Not spotlight, but not flood light. They are 55 watt and are kick arse. I believe the part number is #620.

Harley

14. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Just wondering, are you or have you done any alternator upgrades /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I need to look into how many amps I am drawing out of mine and do my upgrades based on that..

also the park and swap in phx has those ricer fog lights for dirt cheap

15. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

there was a post on this before and someone had some bad@$$ little lights they made themselves can't remember who though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif [darn] tried to search but no luck /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

No upgrades yet. With my headlights and rock lights on at idle it does start to drop the alternator volts sometimes. When I stop for awhile on the trail I just turn off the rock lights and head lights and leave my marker lights on with the truck running. This helps charge the battery back up.

My volts with headlights and rocklights on don't drop below 13 but it does draw down the volts some from when the lights are not on. The only time it actually starts to drop into the 12 range is when the brights and rocklights are on.

My alt is out of a TBI SBC K5 so I may have a little more power then a alt from a carb truck. You can get a TBI alts that put out more power then carb alts that will bolt in. All you need to do is change the pully on the front from a serpintine to a v-belt pulley. That is what I did.

I have been looking into a 104 volt stock alt from a TPI Z28 Camaro, but I am not sure if it will bolt in or not. I haven't found a place to stock one so I can look at it in person.

Harley

17. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    there was a post on this before and someone had some bad@$$ little lights they made themselves can't remember who though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif [darn] tried to search but no luck /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

were they tig welded aluminum. Kinda 45 degree angle type of a deal? If so those are mine. If ya want to see them I can post some pics.

18. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

yes those are the ones and they were sweet!!!!!!! trick little lights that would work perfect post pics definately /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

those would be cool to make hey there's my excuse to go goet a welder and start learning /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

19. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Keep the lights out of the rocks and lighting the important stuff and ya'll be ok. Here are a couple of pic of mine, seem to work ok.
    [​IMG] front
    [​IMG] rear
    [​IMG] the glow

20. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner