Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rock lights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, May 18, 2005.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, who has an inexpensive rock light solution? I need one that is low wattage (I hate when there is a bright spot, it makes everything else look dark), flood pattern, and is easy to mount. I think 1156s aren't enough but the brake/turn element in a 1157 might be bright enough.

They need to be able to be gotten wet while being turned on. In other words, it can't be a high wattage light with a glass lense that'll crack.

Speaking of lenses, I'd prefer plastic. They'll be in locations that'll get them blasted with rocks and mud.

The only thing I can think of is those clear lensed trailer lights you see on semi trailers. They're like 3.5-4.5" in diameter and are flush-mounted on the back of the trailer in a piece of rubber. But, I can't find these anywhere online for a decent price. I'm looking at buying 6-8.

2. FWP

FWP CRS

35W tractor lights ;)

3. CyberSniper

The $10 ones from Napa? I already tried those and they crack sometimes.

I bought some cheap Wagner garden tractor lights for like $7/each. But I haven't figured out a way to mount them yet.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Yep, they sure do, but for 10 bucks, whaddya want :laugh: ? I just deal with it, and try to mount the out of the way of flying debris.

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You can find them on sale at HF for about $6. They crack too, but u-joints break and they are over $30 to replace.

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have 6 back up lights under there. I bought them from Academy and they were about $10 a pair, since they are back up lights they have a wide beam so they light up the underside really good. They measure about 1" wide and about 4" long. I can get pictures if you want.

7. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I'd vote for something like a boat trailer backup light. The ones im picturing are like 6"x2" oval that mount in teh rubber gromet thing.

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Sure, if you have an HF near you :p: . Matt, buy me a couple next time you see em on sale, I'll pay ya when we wheel next :)

9. CyberSniper

I went to Wally world tonight (well, more like this morning) and perused their cheap driving lights. I couldn't find any 35 watt ones. I bought some 55 watt jobber dos that are about the size of a racquetball. They use H3 bulbs. I figure the lense will crack eventually but I think they'll do the job. Hopefully they get some more in. They cost $15 for the pair and come with hillbilly wiring and a rocker switch. The bulbs are worth $4/each and the rocker is worth $1... so I can't complain.

Hopefully they hold up. If not, oh well. The good thing about them being little is that they can go anywhere. The bad thing about them being little is that they'll get really hot.

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I got a free purple neon underbody kit off a parts truck I bought last year. I'm planning on using that as my rock light setup since it's already got a plastic tube protecting the glass, it's water tight, it won't impare my night vision much and it's not too bright. An even better plus is I can mount it on top of the floor support rib and debris flying up from my tires won't hit it. I haven't put them on yet but that's mostly because I'm still working on adding my KC lights and getting my reverse lights to work after the SM465 swap. :grin:

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Ha ha! Thats a good idea! I'll have to keep my eyes open for a set of those. Maybe I can get some Blue ones. :D

12. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Scour the junk yards and look for newer Hondas. I seem to find a lot of them have underbody kits around here. If not, you can get the smaller ones for about $10- $15 a piece or a full new kit from Auto Zone for about $100 with all the wiring, switches and brackets.