Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rock Ring for Hummer Wheels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5BLT4FUN, Oct 14, 2003.

1. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

With regards to a Rock Ring for Hummer Wheels. There has been several posts on the Pirate Board about damaging the outer ring of the hummer wheels. I know several people on the CK5 board, including myself who are running hummer wheels. It seems to be an issue for both the 8 and 12 bolt versions. Therefore, I have spoken with a local fabricator, who also is a racer, and told him of the delima. He thinks he can make a bolt on rock ring that would just fit inside the the inner edge of the outer lip to help support it. It would bolt on the existing wheel assembly studs so they would be protected/recessed as well. I have a couple of questions though. First, do the rest of you think this will work/help? Second, do you think their would be any interest in them if so. He saids in order to make it "Cheap Enough" he would have to make several. Therefore I am testing the water. Please post and let me know what your thoughts are.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Personnally, It sounds like a lot of money for something you can go to any hardware store and buy! Just go buy some 3/8"-1/2" round stock and just weld one end to the outer lip of the ring... Heat with torch, bend, heat, bend, heat, bend, and so on! Once bent, weld both sides and walla! You'll never have a problem again! I know a few people that have already done this and don't have any more problems with the rims curling! AS for a bolt on repair... One of the reasons most people go to these rims is cause you can build them yourself for far less than buying beadlocks, seems to me that the added expense would out way the benifits! Just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Hope it helps!

3. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is a link to the possible design. It would strengthen the outer lip of the rim as well as protect the assebly studs. Rock Ring