Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rock Rod length

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Nov 4, 2003.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What length Rock Rod do I need to get for my dana 60. It will be mounted in the stock location.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Call up Rockstomper, he'll be able to help you best. But I know when I ordered mine he said it was the same length as Steve was using on his D60 and I had a D44 at the time. And now hae the same Rock Rod on my 10 bolt.

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I can measure my MOO rod. Quick question for you. Why use a presumably weaker rod <font color="red"> correction</font> that has the two tubes welded together, when you can buy a rod from Missouri Offroad Outfitters that is 1.5" diameter x .375" wall and is tapped through to about 6" depth. Steve does this so if you ever want to cut your rod down for High Steer - you don't have to purchase another rod. To cut down a Rockstomper rod, you would have to weld in another insert. Just FYI - disregard if you aren't interested.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Rockstomper rods are threaded, they don't use an insert.

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Thanks everyone, the length is 52".
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why use a weaker rod that has welded in thread inserts, when you can buy a rod from Missouri Offroad Outfitters that is 1.5" diameter x .375" wall and is tapped through to about 6" depth

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not buying one from rockstomper, or any of the other sources mentioned. I am getting on from TONYP, his don't use inserts either.

Chris

6. Mudzer

[ QUOTE ]
    Rockstomper rods are threaded, they don't use an insert.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah!

7. Mudzer

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks everyone, the length is 52".
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why use a weaker rod that has welded in thread inserts, when you can buy a rod from Missouri Offroad Outfitters that is 1.5" diameter x .375" wall and is tapped through to about 6" depth

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not buying one from rockstomper, or any of the other sources mentioned. I am getting on from TONYP, his don't use inserts either.

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'll wander out to my rig today and measure my rockstomper rod...

j

9. Emmettology 101

A Rockrod from Rockstomper is (2)pieces of tubing sleeved.(one inside the other) for strength. They are welded together at the ends. Then the inner tube is tapped for the TRE threads. They dont use an insert that is just welded on the end.

You can cut down a rock rod to any length and just reweld the ends and re-tap it.

10. Mudzer

[ QUOTE ]
    A Rockrod from Rockstomper is (2)pieces of tubing sleeved.(one inside the other) for strength. They are welded together at the ends. Then the inner tube is tapped for the TRE threads. They dont use an insert that is just welded on the end.

You can cut down a rock rod to any length and just reweld the ends and re-tap it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is off topic now that we know he is building his own tierod - but. Why go Rockstomper over the Missouri Offroad Outfitters in any case?

Two pieces of tubing sleeved is not stronger than one. The MOO rod is thicker wall thickness. It is tapped deep so you can cut it down without welding. It also has the harder to find left hand jamb nut included! Less work for cheaper!

http://www.mo-offroad.com/Tie%20rods.htm

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/steering/rockrods/rockrod.htm

11. Emmettology 101

[ QUOTE ]

This is off topic now that we know he is building his own tierod - but. Why go Rockstomper over the Missouri Offroad Outfitters in any case?

Two pieces of tubing sleeved is not stronger than one. The MOO rod is thicker wall thickness. It is tapped deep so you can cut it down without welding. It also has the harder to find left hand jamb nut included! Less work for cheaper!

http://www.mo-offroad.com/Tie%20rods.htm

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/steering/rockrods/rockrod.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Both are about the same price. Actually the MOO is $180 with ends and the Rock Rod for GM's starts at $175 with ends. And the Rock Rod also comes with the harder to find left hand jam nut included. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now I may be talking out of my ass as I dont have any backgorund knowledge info... But to me it seems it would be harder to bend two pieces of tubing sleeved than one... Even if the one is .036" thicker. But I am sure someone may prove me wrong...

12. NetBlazer

NetBlazer Registered Member

Additionally, Rockstomper offers a CK5 discount

CK5 discount

Sean

13. Emmettology 101

Actually I believe MOO does also as he is a CK5 member.

14. Mudzer

True Dat! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10% off to CK5 members.

15. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Why not get a rockrod from Echobit its only $86 (without ends) and also has left handed threads on one end.

16. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Thats is the one I am getting, TONYP makes them.

17. Emmettology 101

What is the wall thickness on those? They aren't really any larger diameter that stock(maybe 1/4") except for using stronger material. And once you add in the tie rod ends they are basically the same price as the others yet smaller and possibly weaker.(no offense to anyone).

18. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wish I would have ordered mine from Steve...
    Much faster turnaround...
    It took 3 weeks to get mine from Rockstomper...
    and Scott said he had one in stock...

I'd rather deal with Steve...because he's NOT affraid to be honest!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the MOO vs Rockstomper is, IMO, a bit like the old ORD vs Echobit shackle flip posts. Both are great products... both are CK5 discount-providers... both are good people. IMO, you cant go wrong either way. I personally have a rockstomper rod. It aint gonna break, and thats all I really care about. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

20. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What is the wall thickness on those? They aren't really any larger diameter that stock(maybe 1/4") except for using stronger material. And once you add in the tie rod ends they are basically the same price as the others yet smaller and possibly weaker.(no offense to anyone).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Replace your stock bent tie-rod bar with a 4130 chromoly bar that you can lift your truck with.Chromoly tubing is 25% stronger then DOM

[/ QUOTE ]

What material do the "other" guys use on their rockrods?