Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rock Rod users with Dana 60 - Got a question for you!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, May 2, 2002.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

For those of you who use a rockrod, or even something similar -

What tie rod ends do you use with your Dana 60 axle? I just swapped in the D60 last weekend, and when I went to swap my Rock Rod from my 10 bolt to the D60, it was too long. I have been trying to find a tie rod end that will fit all week! Someone said to try the ES2010L, but it was WAY too short. When I measure the length needed (knuckle to knuckle) vs. the length of my Rock Rod + Passenger's Side tie rod end, it looks like I need an end that is about 6-7 inches long from end of threads to the stud. Anyone know what I am looking for? I tried one yesterday that was the correct length, correct left hand thread and correct thread size, but the stud shank was too large?

The tie rod ends that were on the Rock Rod on the 10 bolt were the stock pieces (the driver's side end had the stabilizer mounting hole in it, is like 10 inches long!)

Any help would be mightily appreciated!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Have everything else just about wrapped up, just need the correct pressure hose for the Power Steering pump with the flare fittings...

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, something is weird! I came home with that EXACT rod end, the ES2010L just the other day, and it was way too short! I am pretty sure that I have the stock passenger's side rod end on there, which according to the books, should be the ES2234R. Steve, can you tell me how long that ES2234R is? I am going to pull mine out when I get home and make sure I have the same one...and how much thread length do you have out of the rock rod on the passenger side? I tried to see it in the pics, but couldn't tell. Looks like you have about 1.5" out on the driver's side, or thereabouts.

Man, I must be going looney, as I am having the most trouble with this dang thing! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

What's the length of your Rock Rod.............I used the exact setup as Steve (same part numbers, etc.) and it fits perfectly. Not much threads out on either end..............

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Also, the number you gave for that long R hand one (ES2234R) is about 6" long............according to Stephen Watson. Sounds like the Rock Rod is too short.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

My Rock Rod measured 52"..............

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I will have to measure the Rock Rod when I get home...does Scott make different length Rock Rods?? I bought it from him about a year and a half ago, used it originally on my 3/4t 10 bolt setup...

I will also remove that right side rod end and measure it, see which one I really have in there...

Man, something so simple as a tie rod is giving me such a headache! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I ordered one the other day from him and asked him if it would work when I upgraded from my 10 bolt to a dana 60 and he said no, that they where different lengths. I would think that maybe you could have it shortened or lengthened, so it would fit. Just an idea?

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Sure enough, I measured mine and it was only 48" long. Talked to Scott, and he does make them in two sizes, one for 10 bolts, one for D60s...so, I had to order another one from him, and I think I have a buyer for my old one. So, I guess the truck will remain down for another week... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

10. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

If you dont have a buyer for your old one, drop me a line and let me know what you want. For what it would cost for me to get a left hand tap, its cheaper just to buy a rod. I am getting tired of killing the stock onse and after 5 replacments, Advance Auto parts is getting tired of seeing me !!!

Depdog

11. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Esteban just told me he would take it actually. Sorry about that.