Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rock slider question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1 FN HI K5, Sep 26, 2002.

1. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

Ok im back done with grape harvest /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I want to know who has put them on a 1st gen. Blazer?
    Where did you get them and did you have to remove your rocker boxes.
    I want to get a pair but im not going to cut up my perfect rocker boxes to put them on. Maybe i will have to fab my own? Let me see any pic's Thanks <font color="red"> 1 FN HI K5 </font color>

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've got some, mine are on a 2nd gen burb, but they hang down from the rockers. click link for pics if you want to look. I fabbed mine myself.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Brad your truck is tall enough. Just build a set that run from one side to the other and goes under the frame. You could plate the whole underside of the truck that way. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i was thinkin of putting on those tube side steps that run the length of the rocker.do you think they are strong enuf to work as rock sliders.on the first gens the frame doesnt hang down below the rocker like on a suburban.so i dont know how i would mount the steps.im thinking weld a tab to the frame where the step is supposed to mount to the frame?what do you guys think about this idea.i think you can get the side steps for like 200 dollars.muddysub i thik that this idea is muck like yours with less fabwork because i will be just having to weld the step to the new frame mount.

5. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

I have a set of nerf bars (chrome side tubes that run the length of the rockers) on my Ram.
    Although they serve the purpose just fine as a step, and they look great, after landing on them a couple times they are pretty bent and beat up.
    Yes, they DID save the body 100% so I'm not complaining at all... I just think I'll fab a set of heavier wall slider/step bars for my Blazer.
    That way they will serve the purpose as step and hold up to much more abuse! hehehehehehehe /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Hey man I am in the same place, wanting rock rails for my 1st gen. I have designed up some that I think will work.

One design is to take tubing across the bottom of the frame rails, all the way out to rockers and far enough for step. This appears to be the strongest concept, I am not sure now that I am doing body lift, I may just attach to the frame on each side.

This should be a link to my webshots page and in the K5 section you will find 2-3 different designs. You will also find picture of a first gen someone built attachments for chrome nerfs they bought at store. Prob not good for sliderz but good as steps.

By the time winter is over I will have written up an article with my custom rock railz for a first gen. Obviously I will be posting it here and/or the tech section if they want it!

Sam's Webshots, look under the BIG ORANGE section!

The last design would work with no body lift and I would add a thinner guage plating on the bottom as extra protection. The REAR tubing going all the way across MAY need to be cut and built as loop over/under the rear driveshaft depending on your lift. Possibly the front as well.

Obviously long run I will be building in transfer case protection, possibly attaching a 6-8 point roll cage and replacing the rocker boxes with square tubing. As long as the 2" tubing is a HEAVY guage it should hold up well, allow you to use the steps as HI-LIFT jacking points.

Feel free to ask questions bout the design...etc...I dont think this could be done commercially, too much to measure just right, etc. You really need to measure/do on your own rig.

Sam

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't think he is loking for what I did. his rockers are still intack and they are like 50ft off the ground so a frame mounted slider would be OK.

9. chulisohombre

so what would be the best if i get some built.like a 2x2 1/4 inch square tubing be thick enuf?

10. chulisohombre

im not really into cutting off my rockers either.i just replaced my driver side and am doing the passengerr side soon.burt how would a frame mounted one work and also how much would you charge to build one?i have no body lift so the frame is inline with the body.

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You wouldn't want me to build em for ya! I spent alot of time grinding away my bad welds /forums/images/icons/frown.gif hehehe Frame mounted will work but it still may bend up into the body, unless it's built not too.... Alot of folk have made there own so do a serch on rock sliders and you should find alot of stuff here!
    Good Luck

12. 1 FN HI K5

50 FT LOL /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. 1 FN HI K5

I emailed bent an twisted but no reply yet. I saw in there add 73 and up blazer and ask him if they would make me a set for the 72 without cutting fenders and rocker boxes.Or maybe i had to look for someone else or fab them myself.. <font color="red">1 FN HI K5 </font color>

14. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Kewl,
    Good luck.

15. chulisohombre

thats allright most of my welds are booger welds too so i guess i'll try and build my own and make em not bend. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif