Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rock Slider ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZooMad75, Oct 22, 2004.

1. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Rock Slider ?\'s

I've searched all over for info on installing rock sliders and havent really seen the way one would attach rock sliders on a 73-75 Full Convertible like mine with the factory rocker boxes in tact.

I've looked at the sliders from 4X4 Iron, DP Industries and others and found two styles of mounting. Bolt in and Weld in. Both of which are attached to the body at or to the body mount supports. The weld in versions have more welded attachment points, but all those are hidden by my rocker boxes.

I've got a decent price on steel (2"x3"x.250) Rectangle tube for about $58 for 12 ft. What I was wondering is if after removing what is left of my horribly rotton rocker panels could I be able to weld the slider directly to it on the bottom? The other connection point would be on the top of the slider being welded to the body. (similar to how Glenn did his over at Off-Road.com on project rock ready)

My main question is, are the rocker boxes strong enough to take the wieght of the rock sliders and the load of the body when sitting on a rock? I'm just wondering since the rocker boxes are just sheetmetal.

I do plan on putting a cage in, but not yet so I can't just remove the rocker boxes. This thing creaks and flexes bad enough as it is, I don't need to remove the boxes and make it worse. Besides, my rocker boxes are rust free and not damaged in anyway. It's just the rocker panels that are wasted...

Any thoughts?????

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Rock Slider ?\'s

Do a search on here. i saw some pics the other day of sliders made by a member that attach to the floor supports. Can't remember his handle but I saw them while I was doing a search. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

1/8th wall would work (thats what mine are) or 3/16 wall tube would be plunty, 1/4 would be overkill and really heavy! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Mine are 3x3 tubes... look for my floor posts in the body shop /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You could bend 1/8th wall pretty easy most likely. I think 3/16" is the minimum for sliders. I already bent my .125 wall 1" round slider bars. First trip and first bend. I am not worried about bending my sliders themselves though, they are 2 pieces of 1.5" square .250 wall welded together so they are 3" wide and 1.5" thick. They gained me 1.5" of clearence that most people with sliders don't get. Makes my 35's more liveable.

Harley

5. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

Here are some pic's I took of "lowrider" sliders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Talk to "muddytazz" he built some great ones for me.

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here are some pic's I took of "lowrider" sliders.

[​IMG] Nice sliders /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Talk to "muddytazz" he built some great ones for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

7. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the replies...I did run a search and found sliders pertaining to 76 and up models. Look at the pic's above and where you can see the frame and the mounts to the body support and the frame, I have the rocker boxes that fill that space completly. So without removing my rocker boxes I'm stuck with welding to the rocker boxes it looks like. That is unless someone has another idea.

Also, 1/4" thickness may be overkill but I don't think I'd go less than 3/16"s to keep it from bending.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for the help Too! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif