Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rock slider spacing question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Sep 27, 2002.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK I got my sliders finished and was getting ready to mount them when i noticed a gap of about 1" between them and the body. I am mounting them to the body with 2" angle iron. How close should they be? Right up on the body or with a little space? I can adjust with a little more grinding so let me know, thanks. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

hmmmm, since mine ARE the body, I really cant help.

nice sig though!!! Lets go wheeling sometime.

Rob

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you are mounting them to the body only then you can tuck them up tight. If they are attached to the frame in any way then keep the gap and disconnect them from the body all together

4. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

Butch
    This may have been answered before, but why do they need to mount only to the body or only to the frame? Can they be mounted to both? What affect will it have on the truck?

5. sapper

I was going to attach them to both. All they are is 2" square tube with the angle iron for mounting to the body, i was going to run bracing from them to the frame. Are you saying its better to have them attached to just one? Any reason why? These are the first I'v done so just looking to more info. Also i need a front bumper when are you going to start them? Thanks

6. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Typically you add the sliders to protect the body. If they are touching the body they will transmit the force to the body. If you tie the frame and the body together, then your gonna tweak the heck out of them when your twisted up. The frame will want to go one way, and the body will be trying to go another.

7. sapper

. If you tie the frame and the body together, then your gonna tweak the heck out of them when your twisted up.

Mayby I'm a idiot but if its that bad why do people tie roll cages to the frame? I thought the idea was to keep the body and frame together so the suspension could do all the flexing under it? See now you have me all confused on something i thought i was good to go on. Tell me more /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

A roll cageg that from the word go was designed to be tied to the frame will become part of the frame. It will make the frame ridged at that point and the issues with the flex are null and void.
    I do not like frame mounted sliders on these trucks. There is enough flex on these trucks that there is NO WAY you could make them strong enough to keep them from hitting the body in offroad conditions. If you are goung to use the fram as a mounting point then bushings need to be put in and it tied to both body and frame. The bushings will allow movement that is going to happen without causing sever binds when the body and frame are going different dirrections.
    I really think if your building a trail truck that the interrgrated sliders like Butch sells is the way to go. I have a simular set and it helps stiffen the body particularly on the 69-75's. No other way to keep so much ground clearence and still have rocker protection.

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

With a cage that you tie to the frame you typically run the tubes through the floor of the body by making a hole. So the cage is attached to the frame only and floats at the body. If you tie the two of them together something has to give and since the frame is stronger the body always loses. With sliders if you tie to the frame and body and flex the truck it will transmit the load of the frame twist to the body that is basically staying straight. If your rubber body mounts can not take difference something has to bend. This will usually be the rear quarter panel just in front of the tire

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

hey grim.so the frame mounted sliders would probably hit the rockers is what you are sayin when twisted up.so they might not protect the rockers that much but at the point of contact.if a rock comes upto the rocker ewhen you are twisted up,then it will just probably push the slider to the rocker and maybe bend it anyway?

11. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I think I remember posts on this before. Someone had made some bitchen lookin sliders that attached to both the frame and body. The body attachment was a small channel that bolted to the pinchweld on the fender,rocker,1/4. It caused cracking in the rocker box and or door and 1/4 structure.
    Jim

12. sapper

Alright thanks Grim and everybody else now it does make sense, thanks. I put them on to day attached to just the body and was surprised to find out how strong they are like that. I can pick up the entire side of the truck using the slider so im going to call them done without any frame supports. Thanks agian everyone for the explanations. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

No problem. Just trying to save you some problems down the road. You would not believe how many truck around here have made the mistake of going to the frame only then dropped down and have nicke U's smashed into the rockers because they didn't acount for flex. Folks like Butch with Bent and Twisted are putting out hard core parts for people who bang their trucks around. Most folks who really hit some hard trails are going to that style and way beyond. You want to see some rocker clearence look as some folks like Robzilla, Marv Springer, MtPockets and quite a few others and See how extreme some of them have gone in search of more rocker clearence. Those guys are chopping off the bottom of the doors and building exotic cab mounts.

14. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Yep, Grim is right. I was one of those that mounted them to only the frame. But my intent was to protect the body. I allowed about 3/4" of space between the pinch weld and the slider. The frame does flex too much, and this created the need to fab an additional crossmember just after the t-case to give the frame some strength. This helped alot, and almost eliminated the deflection of the sliders. I dont bang the truck around hard-core, so this so far has done the trick. They did get tested in MOAB too, and did not contact the body. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif