Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rock Sliders on a 1st Gen?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Nov 12, 2001.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Anyone seen rock sliders on a first gen blazer? The second gen guys bolt them to the frame, no big deal but we have this here rocker box in the way, and bolting to the frame would put a major cantilever on the bracket, that would be a lot of force on the bracket if it ever came to use. Thought about bolting a plate to the box but that really dosen't provide the support necessisary and would tweak the body if ever put to use, any ideas?

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I am going to do it the way Burt4x4 is doing his. He is cutting out the rocker pannel and welding in some box steel tobing (I think 3x3). My rockers are rusted through anyway so what the heck.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Here's an idea I just came up with.....it only works if you've got a body lift though....

What about running some heavy-gauge box tubing under the body perpendicular to the frame rails but OVER the top of the frame? You could use maybe 7 foot lengths that would reach all the way across from the D.S. rocker panel to the P.S. rocker. Then you could use those as the mounting points for whatever kind of "rock slider" you wanted.....

Then you could weld plates to those long sections and bolt them straight to the frame (or weld them with triangulated supports). It wouldn't do much for preventing "twisting forces" but it would have to be stronger than some kind of "brush bar" which could only be bolted to the frame and would only be as strong as the mounting plates used.....?

I don't know if this would really work....it makes sense in my head, but I haven't gone out to look at the truck yet to see what's going to be in the way!!

-Greg72

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

NEVERMIND....!

I got curious enough about this idea to go outside and crawl around under the truck. Even with my existing 2" body lift, a piece of square tubing connected to the top of the frame would stick have to go THROUGH the inner rocker panel and would shoot out through the outer doorskins!!! Oh Well.....so much for that idea!

-Greg72

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Have burt4x4 snap a pic of his 72...he is doin a custom job on that

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Look in the Blazers for sale page!! my 72 needs to go!</font color=blue> [​IMG]