Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rock sliders/rock rails

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Feb 9, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a couple of my buddies are looking into building rock sliders for our trucks (all K10s or K20s, so they're tough to find.) does anyone have pics of how yours are mounted? i'd like to see a couple different styles, to give us some ideas on how to mount them. thanks in advance.

2. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    You have to be carefull how you mount these on a truck because of the way the bed and cab move independently.
    I will see if I can take some pics this weekend, it is dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home.
    I will tell you one thing, if you want one piece sliders like mine the saddle tanks have got to go /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've already thought of ditching the saddle tanks for either a Blazer tank, or a '67-'72 C/K tank mounted in the bed. the '79 K10 i bought for the frame and bed has a single tank under it, but im told it leaks. rather than spend money on a new set of saddle tanks, i think i'd be money ahead to get something that mounts in the bed, just to prevent snagging it on rocks or tree stumps.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

mine are going to weld in to replace the rocker panel.
    here are some pics on how they mount. you are going to want to brace them to the body. there is only one way that i can see to do this. in front of the tank, run some square steel and weld it to the folded lip that runs under the cab, then at the cab corner run them straight up and weld it to the floor of the cab. the do the same for the bed as the rear of the cab. also this way you can also incorperate a skip plate for the tank.
    this is my plan for both my trucks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. TWISTEDJACK

[ QUOTE ]
    mine are going to weld in to replace the rocker panel.
    here are some pics on how they mount. you are going to want to brace them to the body. there is only one way that i can see to do this. in front of the tank, run some square steel and weld it to the folded lip that runs under the cab, then at the cab corner run them straight up and weld it to the floor of the cab. the do the same for the bed as the rear of the cab. also this way you can also incorperate a skip plate for the tank.
    this is my plan for both my trucks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you weld all of that together to make the cab and bed one piece it will rip the sheet metal the first time you flex it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

TJ, the only problem i forsee with using that type of mount on a non-K5 truck is that the bed is only sheetmetal in the area where the slider would weld to it. it will be very flimsy. if you were to hit it good enough, the rail would probably colapse and buckle the bed, which defeats the purpose of even having them in the first place.

7. big83chevy4x4

no i meant to have them two pieces

8. big83chevy4x4

the way i plan on bracing it i dont see why it would buckle, but i may be wrong. i am going to brace the piss out of it by running supports upward following the conture of the side then over to the floor and down to the slider in three spots at the back i might put lateral suport when the tank is out of the way /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif im still thinking about what the best way would be. its not going to be spring until i do it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. TWISTEDJACK

I have got to get some pics of mine(how they mount) it works really slick /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I spent many hours thinking on how to make them work.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have got to get some pics of mine(how they mount) it works really slick /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I spent many hours thinking on how to make them work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. I would like to do this mod eventually. I'm keeping my saddle tanks though, mine will have to be two pieces. The piece by the bed is the challenge.