Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rock sliders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by onlychevy6, Feb 27, 2006.

1. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

any one have pics they can show on how they have installed there rock sliders on a 75 k5?

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There's loads of posts about this. Prob worth doing a search.

3. onlychevy6

Thanks i have sliders already. Just wanted to see how others mounted there's.

Thanks Again

4. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not many (if at all) get down to the detail on a 73-75 dealing with the existing rocker boxes. One post recently got into some of that detail. Unfortunately, with rocker boxes in tact the only way I see to do it is right to the body (replacing the old rockers). The rocker boxes are in the way to tie the sliders too the frame like others have done. Also the body mount is obstructed by the rocker boxes which is another popular area to attach sliders to on 76 and up K5's.

5. onlychevy6

Yeah the sliders came from a 76 and would have been perfect for my old 78. But that is long gone. And that was my concern on mounting these are the rocker boxes. I was thinking of having a plate or something welded to the frame and coming off that to the sliders. kinda like boat siding except flat.

6. ZooMad75

I'd think about that. The rocker boxes are just made of sheetmetal, not plate or anything thick. It is the shape that gives the stiffness back to the body. That being said, I don't think the flat bottom could support the wieght if the slider was tied to it. Plus tying the frame to the rockerbox and then the slider would prove to be pretty cumbersome.

My thought is to cut out the old rockers (or whats left of mine!) and then weld the box tube back in place right to the body. (similar to the writeup on off-road.com) Depending on access with the rocker boxes I will see about adding any additional support where I can.

Cutting the rocker boxes out is an alternative, but I wouldn't do it without a full cage tying the body together again.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

No pics of mine, but I can tell you what I am doing.

The 73-75 blazers can be tricky to do this.

Cut out the old rocker boxes. Make a frame out of 1x2 and 1x1. Skin it w/ 1/4" plate. Make is shallow so you can utilize the stock body mounts for the sliders. The sliders will have attachment points to the new rocker box.
    Also, you can cut out the old rocker box and do the rocker upgrade like on the newer blazers. You just have to reinforce the floor a bit. Then you can attach them like the 76-91 blazers using the body mounts.

8. onlychevy6

Well aint that a B!tch. Sounds like every one cuts the pans out. I wanted to avoid that since mine are in perfect shape. (At least for now.) And oh. i forgot to mention i have a full cage in the blazer. Just not tied to the frame.

9. ZooMad75

I'm with you, my rockerboxes are perfect, no rust. I'd prefer to keep them if at all possible. I've got to really sit down and look at mine to decide. 90% of my rocker panels are gone anyway won't be much to cut out..

Shane- Your Idea sounds great if I make the step to cutting out the stock boxes. I'll keep it in mind if I do.