Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rock Stomper beadlocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FRIZZLEFRY, Nov 5, 2001.

1. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Saw this on there site the other day.They come as a do it yer self kit,they can add them to your existing steel wheels,or they can supply the wheels.Sounds pretty cool.community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang

2. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Well has anyone used these beadlocks or know of anyone that has?They actually weld to the existing outer lip of your wheel and you dont need to cut that lip off like most beadlocks.think there might be a strength issue or will you get the same desired effect?

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I saw those a few days ago and I think it looks promising. I have no idea about how good they are so, I'll wait and let someone else take the gamble first. [​IMG]

There was something that did cross my mind. One sweet thing about bead locks is that you can change the tire yourself relatively easily. With both the front and back lip still in place, getting the rear bead onto the wheel is still going to require a machine or fighting like the devil with a "tyre tool" (Ausie thing) or tire irons, etc.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Getting the rear bead to seat is pretty easy. I just mounted 5 BFG 35x12.50x15 Mud-Terrains on 15x10 Centerline wheels at home without much difficulty at all. You just wiggle things around a bit and get the air started going in. It doesn't take much of a seal for the tire to start filling. The air pressure will seat the beads. Now getting the bead OFF after it's seated, well that's another story all together... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. BadDog

I was talking about persuading the rear bead onto the rim in the first place. With the front wheel lip still there, instead of cut off, you would still need to stretch it over the front lip before bolting on the ring. Not really all that hard to do but some tires can be a royal pain just to get onto the wheel in the first place. Normally a bead lock would pretty much allow you to just drop (or slide) the tire onto the wheel, bolt on the ring, and throw the air to it to seat the rear, done. No fighting to stretch the rear bead over the lip. Once the tire is on the wheel, seating the beads (or in this case, the rear bead) is just a matter of having enough air pressure and volume. At least with this you would only have to stretch one bead, not two.

Russ

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Don't beadlocks still have an inner lip on them? The outer ring bolts on to clamp the tire bead so it can't move, so it's gotta have something inside to clamp against. One of my friends is getting some of the Rock Stomper beadlocks for his cherokee after he finishes "tweaking" his lift kit to run 36's. He said he's seen them run on a few trucks and he really likes them. Just make sure your a really good welder if your doing them yourself... that's one weld you don't want to break. [​IMG]

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

7. BadDog

Yeah, bead locks do still have the back lip, they just don't (normally) have the front lip. But, your right. I don't know what I was thinking about though, you still gotta stretch the inside tire bead some to get it over the inside ring (which is where the outer lip used to be). The outer ring then bolts to the inner ring to lock in the outer wheel bead. So, ignore everything I said. Massive brain fade! Either way, you still gotta stretch the inner tire bead over an outside lip of some sort. Whether it is the wheel lip or the inner ring of a bead lock doesn't really matter. You just don't have to stretch the outer over the lip because the ring clamps it in place.

Doh!

Russ

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just sprayed the bead area of the tire and rim with some soapy water, then wrestled the tires onto the rims. [​IMG] Wasn't nearly as hard as I expected it to be. I mounted each tire in 3 minutes or less. Took longer to fill 'em with air than it did to get them on the rims. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

9. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'm on the off-road racing team at my college and we mount our tires by hand cause the local tire shop has too much trouble with them. They're only 22" Dirt Hooks on 10x7 rims but we have the rims custom made so the beads will NOT come off in a race, even if we puncture a tire. If you ever want a challenge we'd be glad to let you mount a few, or better yet, dismount them. We had to dismount one at a race and didn't have our usual arbor press to break the bead, so we tried driving our 25' Penske over it... and it HELD!!! It was funny for about 2 seconds till we realized we were SOL. I'd take a 36" Swamper any day over one of those damn things.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

One sweet thing about bead locks is that you can change the tire yourself relatively easily.

<hr></blockquote>

Apparantly you have never mounted beadlocks. I would much rather run my wheels/tires to the store to have them put on normal rims than go through the pain in the arse of mounting them on beadlocks.

Also, as Harry was mentioning, off-road tires are generally fairly easy to mount w/out a tire machine, due to the tall, flexible sidewalls.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

11. BadDog

Yeah, my mistake. Your right, I have never mounted a bead lock. For some reason, when I looked at the Rockstomper add, the picture of a wheel with the outer lip cut off (from the 4WOR wheel modification article) popped into my mind. My next thought (over my limit for the day already) was, Bead locks would be easy to mount without that outer lip and this is going to make it much harder to mount tires on bead locks. Seemed to me (at the time) that the only problem would be getting the ring/outer bead lined up and tightening a bunch of bolts evenly (and keeping them tight). For some reason, my brain did not connect to reality until I had been thoroughly beat about the head with it a few times in this thread. If I had ever thought it through I would have figured it out for myself but, like I said, I was already over my quota for thinking.

At least I have cleared up my misconception. Sorry for the display of ignorance and thanks for the correction...

Russ

12. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Im thinkin the worst part of having bead locks would be tightening 32 bolts per wheel by hand.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>