Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rock stomper rock rod ends... which is which?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Aug 29, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

put my rock rod on the other day... didnt even torque the nuts down, I just plopped it in the D60 to see how she looks. As soon as I did, I remembered that the tie rod ends are side-specific (meaning, one tie rod end belongs on the drivers side, one on the passanger side and they arent interchangable). So... one has a grease zerk on top, one has one on the side... which side goes where on the rig? I dunno, maybe it doesnt make a diff... but I'd rather know now than while hurtling down the freeway at 65 mph. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif thanks in advance!

J

2. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

One of the ends is left hand threads so you can't mix 'em up. I just screwed them in tightened the nuts and and dropped her. Nice and simple.

3. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

I put the end with the fitting facing up on the driver side. It fits nicely and hasn't fallen out yet.

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

The only difference is the right and left hand threads on them. Which side they're on doesn't really matter at all. I just put mine in so that the grease fitting that's on the side of the TRE faced toward the axle housing, that way it wouldn't get knocked off by a rock or anything.

5. jekbrown

ok cool... just 2 more questions: 1) does it matter if the left hand threaded end (for example) is on one side or the other? 2) I noticed the grease boots are quite a bit different on each end... one is short... the other one is long. I looked at the parts that they attach to and didn't see any obvious clues as to why they would be different... what gives?

J

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

are they both same brand?

7. jekbrown

purdy sure they are, got'em both from my friends at Rockstomper. I'll post pics tomorow of what I have... that would definitely help. trying to describe a wacky 3d solid via text is purdy tough. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

One end is fer a Dodge, I belive. On my Rock rod I just screwed in the lock nuts and then screwed them into the rod. The orentation of the rod does not matter. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif If you want the zerk facing forward, face it forward, if you want it facing backward, face it backward. Easy squiezie. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif