Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rock toy?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler, Feb 11, 2003.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Okay, I know this is a fullsize site, but I am thinking about a smaller rig for rockcrawling. My blazer didnt fit in alot of places, so I am thinking of something smaller. And remember I still have the burb. Anyways I am thinking of either a jeep cherokee or a suzuki samuri. What do you guys think of wither one?

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I think built samuri's are pretty cool.

[​IMG]

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Well considering I just bought a 92 YJ I guess you know what my answer is. It will only be a Jeep tub and frame when I get done though.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Decide if you want an open top. It takes alot of tube to do a topless XJ (their unibody).

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Ya know, that waterfall doesn't look NEAR as intimidating when it's Sharpes rig going down it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

If I was to build something smaller I'd go with either Toyota or a Zuk. Both are fairly cheap to build up and parts are readily available at the junkyards.

Zuk drivetrain is pretty stout for its size, just do a spring over/ regear the axles, cut the body and throw on some 35's.. instant crawler.

For a Yota I'd start with a pre 86 model for the SFA. 63" chevy springs in the rear, 44044 Rancho springs for the front, 5.29 gears Xover steering and Sawsall. 1/2 ton chevy axles are plenty beef under a yota, no need for expensive 1 ton gear.

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Somethin like this ya mean?

8. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Nah it doesn't. Have you seen that thing lately, he's completely redone the frame, suspension, etc. I didn't think he could improve on it any better but I guess he did.

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

stick a S-10 cab on your FS frame. it will OWN most other junk on the trail, being 1-ton with FW axles and a narrow body.

10. DesertDueler

Well, the reason I brought this up is I found a great deal on Zuk. It has the 1.3L FI motor, manual tranny, 6:1 low in the t-case, jeep width dana 44s with 5.89 gears and spools. It also has crossover and hy-steer, and is full caged, oh yea, and is only $3,000 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also found a cherokee that has a 4.0L, auto, Np231 with SYE kit, CV driveshafts front and rear, 4.56s and ARBs front and rear for 2,000

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

for real crawling, a Zuk with FW axles would kick arse. the 80 in Wheel Base will not help. I am still a propnent of the FS frame with a S-10 frame. the axles, wheel base, wheel base, and ease of finding parts will help.

if i need a chevy 350 part or a Zuk 1.3 part in the middle of no-where in the middle of the night, i'll put *my* money on the SBC 350 part.

JMHO.

12. DesertDueler

I had the ranger on a shortened F-250 frame and axles, but I sold it. I dont like how high the body has to dit on the frame. Too top heavey for me. As for the 80 in wheelbase, they are supose to work really well here in AZ since all the trails are real narrow. You can always stretch them a little as well. I would also tow it since I have a trailer and Burb (with a 350 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) so I am not worried about it breaking in the middle of no-where.

Also the body swap and all is going to cost alot more. That and I would have over 3 grand in the 1 ton axles by the time I was done.

13. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

so how was wheelin Dan, oh yea I am officially not with Adrian any more, sad to say I am with Kristian (her friend) But this has been going on for a while, also my dad has sinned! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif we bought a 88 bronco xlt on saterday. so now we have 2 blazer and a bronco, hehe I guess that means Adrian isn't a loss because I no longer need her bronco! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

in the swap sheet here..for 2 grand there is a yota..on a chevy frame and drivetrain. its got a big lift..not sure how much..and like 38" boggers on it or something..it would make a great toy..gots a 350 in it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    stick a S-10 cab on your FS frame. it will OWN most other junk on the trail, being 1-ton with FW axles and a narrow body.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a hell of an idea. If I ever smash up my body real bad, I think I'll look at the S10 option.

16. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The only thing left is the front clip, kinda. Stretched the wheelbase again. Say's it's a wall climbing sumbitch now.

Last time I talked to him, he was thinking coils in the front of his wifes sub with a 60. The man just doesn't slow down...

17. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

A few of my buddies run XJs and one MJ (Comanche, Jeep Truck) they seem to do pretty awesome. I'm not a fan of the axles but the 4.0L, trans and 231J are all bulletproof and torquey enough for crawling. D30 and D35 are toothpicks for axles. The suspension is made to flex with 4-link and coils up front. Rubicon Express makes a 4.5 inch kit that gives insane flex for like $750 and with cut fenders 35's is feasible. If you want to spend a little more money I like the Grand Cherokee suspension also.

Dave Cowley

18. DesertDueler

Well the cherokee has a 4.0L auto, 231, dana 30 front, and dana 44 rear. So at least the rear is decently strong.

19. DesertDueler

Wheeling was fun, but I had to do alot of the bypasses because my Burb is too big. We rolled a toy 4 runner /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I also roke my fuel sender, my gas guage moves around like crazy. I dont know how it happenend since I never hit the gas tank. The only dent I got was in the front bumper. I was driving on the sidewalls to make it through a real tight spot, and the tire sliped. Luckly it only hit the bumper.

20. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

Only a few Cherokee's came with D44s and they were 1992s, it is rare to find em. Most have the C-clip Dana 35.

Dave Cowley