Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rocker and striker panel replacement Q's (tacoma, WA area)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rwright07, Aug 10, 2006.

1. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

ook i posted this in the 73-91k5 tech forum and got a couple replies but was advised to move this thread here. so here goes....

the PO of my 76 K5 replaced the rocker panel but jsut screwed a new one in and didnt take rust precuations apparently... now i need not only a new rocker, but also new striker panel on the drivers side.... i found a solid 85 K5 that i can get as much rocker/striker/floorpan as i need for 75 bucks.... thats ok

now im wondering how much it will be for a shop to put the new panels into my truck? i love this thing... its my first car, bought w/ my own money. but **** happens... im thinkin about doin this, repainting at maaco, keeping it for awhile then selling hopefully for 3500-4k i bought it for 2,400 so after the work into it i think i will be able to get 4k if i get it all done

how much out of pocket will this be. im 17 and only have the cash ive earned this summer working 9hrs a day for 8/hr in a warehouse so funds r kinda tight as i wanted to keep as much as i could to buy an awesome blazer after i sell this one... yea ne ideas? neone local to me who could help out?

i live near tacoma and can drive newhere

thanks alot,

rick wright

2. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

most shops will look at it from a shop rate, 45.00 to 85.00 /hr

material in your case is not much and the paint will be done at mayco as you mentioned, the problem is the price you payed and what you want to sell it for will make you break even if that,

I dont know how interested you are in repairing it your self, but with a drill, grinder and a cheap welder you can do it your self. a flux core welder from walmart will work it you are patient and understanding, also the area is not really a cosmetic nightmare either. I would think for your area most people are educated enough about the damage from rus and understand that repairs made are to be exspected due to its age,

I was 17 when I did my panels and rockers on my 75 blazer, and looking back on it I feel its a nice to have done it myself and learned how to do it, also there may be other ck5 people in your area who have the knowlege and interest in helping you learn and fix it,

at any rate ask your old man or relatives, if that fails a offer for beer should work on someone:thumb:

just post some pics, ask lots of questions and we'll help ya through it, its not as hard as it seems and you can feel like you just conqured the world when you get it done;)

[​IMG]

everything in this pic that is black... is all new metal, replaced pretty much the whole truck with the excetion on the firewall and windshield frame..

:weld: :grind: :hack:

3. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

mmk so should i try to get a cheap welder and grinder off craigslist? the beer is on the table if anyone wants to give me a hand... i got an 18 pack chilled in my fridge right now... that gives me some inspiration, id love to do this myself, except that my dad knows nothing about this sort of thing, and we dont have the tools, so i could buy a grinder and welder for less than the body work and if someone around my area would help me out a couple days i could easily get them more than enough beer to make it worth thier while.

i need to get a new left rear quarter panel to make the truck rust free... should i do that at the same time? where would be the best place.. lmc, yearone, goodmark, ect, or the salvage yard?

if anyone on here knows how to do autopaint that is close i could put up sum beer to them too if theyd teach me and give me a hand.

thanks all,
    rick wright

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  4. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I just went to Macco and here is the break down to be painted. No holes to patch just some nics and minor paint rust.

$800.00 Presidential paint job
    200.00 Paint
    75.00 Two tone paint roof white
    50.00 Shop material
    30.00 enviromential fee
    80.00 repair dings
    $1235.00 Total without tax

I had Earl Scheibs do a car once I did all the mask off and body work it turned out great. 1989 it cost $200.00 and held up fine had it 2 years till old lady wrecked it.
    I would remove your phone number to many crack pots on web. They can email you through your user name if you didn't block emails.

5. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

how did the maaco job look?

ook so im pretty excited... my dad operated on a patient yesterday who teaches welding and autobody at a local community college, he is boeing retired and does it for fun, he wants to come help me out for free just to teach a kid how to do it.... i dont even have to buy him beer (he cant drink nemore cuz of his operation) hahaha

il save a ****loada money and get it looking good again.. with the money i save i can still afford to paint it and then make sum bucks off this truck when i sell it eventually

6. supersize75k5

ide still toss the guy some cash or a gift certificate just to say thanks since you will be benifit $$$ from his help;)

7. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

gooood idea

im about to buy a 225amp hobart stick welder for 100 bucks today too... good idea?

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

You might find it difficult to do sheetmetal with that. You should just give it to me instead, I wouldn't mind using it for bumpers and such. :D So do you wheel that thing, or are you a restorer? If you wanna see some of the locals thrashing their rigs, there's a bunch of us western WA guys at Krazyk5.com . I'd hate to think about the shop price for something like you're doing. Most of the guys in our group just chop out the rust and put some rock sliders in instead of the rockers. Might not be as pretty, but they pivot off of rocks a lot better. Most are using something like 2x4 box tubing.

9. supersize75k5

I learned on a stick welder myself, an old craftsman one, I would lean towards a mig. a stick welder new from home depot is just over 200.00.

as mentioned a stick welder will be tuff and test your patience real quick..

10. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

sorry i havent posted i went up to tahuya for sum wheelin w/ the blazer n a couple friends w. jeeps, anyways yea they would charge alot i think then il have to repaint... i ended up buying a 225amp lincoln stick welder cuz the hobart was liek reeaaallllly heavy and the lincoln i could put in the back of the blazer myself. so yea im doing prep work on the body peice, getting rid of the paint and evening out the edges so whoever i get to help me put it in the truck will have an easier time...
    if you would like to help me with this or have any advice i would be greatly appreciative

11. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

My suggestion is to give me the stick welder, and listen to people when they tell you to buy a mig welder for sheet. Sure it's the only thing they are good for, but it's what your buying it for.